Xampp install on NAS?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp install on NAS?

Postby JDanW » 29. December 2012 18:06

Hello world! I have installed and used XAMPP and Wordpress before, but this time I am approaching it differently (I know this is not a Wordpress help site, but I'll include what I doing in case someone can point me in the right direction there as well).

AND I am not looking for step by step instructions (yet :roll: ), but basic advise on how/if what I am trying can be accomplished.

MT DESIRE: I want to be able to do is develop web sites locally from various computers on my homegroup network. These computers (laptops and desktops, and maybe even an android tablet) will be running Windows 7 and 8 (possibly XP), but I am not sure if that matters. I have an Iomega ix2-200 NAS installed on the network.

I wonder if I need to install XAMPP on the NAS? Or is that possible or necessary? And then if anyone knows about Wordpress, where that would be installed? Does XAMPP need to be installed on each computer and just the files (websites/wordpress) on the NAS?

Again, just some pointers about any ways to accomplish the basic goal of developing the SAME websites from VARIOUS computers on the SAME homegroup/network. TIA!!

Daniel
JDanW

Operating System: Windows 7 + 8

Re: Xampp install on NAS?

Postby JJ_Tagy » 30. December 2012 04:52

Depending on your NAS, there may already be packages which include apache, mysql, php, etc.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby JDanW » 02. January 2013 23:44

nope, not on mine...
JDanW

Operating System: Windows 7 + 8

Postby JJ_Tagy » 03. January 2013 01:10

I bet if you can get this to work http://www.vigus.eu/tech-brain-dump/lin ... -to-guide/ you could probably find out what it has. Usually the NAS boxes already come with compacted linux tools. They usually come with some sort of web host (such as lighttpd) since that's how you manage the admin pages.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Return to XAMPP for Windows