XAMPP 1.8.x working slow

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP 1.8.x working slow

Postby edduvs » 18. December 2012 23:43

Hi there XAMPP community, I'm new around here, though using XAMPP for years now. My only wonder (not a real headache) is about the server (either PHP/MYSQL) working exponentially slow (since the 1.8.x version was released) than the older versions (1.7.x, using 1.7.7 at the moment).

I came over this problem when I was changing some php DB handler from mysql to MySQL Improved for a random client and I tried to make use of the mysqli_error_list function (which works only on PHP 5.4 and greater), while XAMPP 1.7.7 was released with PHP 5.2.4 if I'm correct.

That being told, I downloaded the 1.8.0 (lite and standard versions), installed them and created a very very simple class connecting to my DB. All I can say is that the processing of that simple page takes about a second (while in the 1.7.x versions, is a matter of milliseconds, loads instantly). Note that I've made no custom changes to MySQL configuration nor PHP.ini. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 without having concerns over RAM or Processor since it's an I5 Ivy Bridge with 8 Gigs of RAM.

I guess it's about the MySQL because doing a large PHP iteration the page is processed the same as 1.7.x versions.

Best regards, and keep up the good work.
Duluman Eduard Cosmin.
edduvs

Operating System: Win7

Re: XAMPP 1.8.x working slow

Postby fransm » 26. January 2013 09:03

I found the same issue yesterday after installing 1.8.1. I went back to 1.7.7 and all is well again. I have done some searching on the german forum and done some testing and the solution for me is to put this line in the windows hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost

I only had to activate this line and its as fast as it was before.

Good luck
fransm

Re: XAMPP 1.8.x working slow

Postby fransm » 26. January 2013 13:54

The above mentioned solution creates all kind of problems with virtual hosting that I can't solve at this point. I found however another solution to get things fast again. I changed the mysqli host to 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost. Until now this does not seem to invoke any new problems and msql is working fast again.
fransm

Return to XAMPP for Windows