Unable to work with ssh

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Unable to work with ssh

Postby brunoais » 06. October 2012 18:34

I'm working on a system that is working below ssh. I.e, I have a script that is accessed using an ssh connection.

Assuming I have the configuration files like XAMPP leaves after all installation is completed (it's not the reality but I can work to translate your help as if it was).
What do I need to change in XAMPP to start using ssh with user accounts?
I need to test such system before I try it for real in a production server.

When I try to make an ssh connection, the connection time's out. Every time. This is not related to the server being down, though.

I'm using port 81 for the connection (ssh://localhost:81) and I also set apache to listen to port 81 and turned on SSL on that port (I copy and pasted as it is for the port 443 that comes with XAMPP). Oh, and https on port 81 works, but ssl doesn't. So I believe the most probable problem is misconfiguration somewhere.

Note: I did restart the server

If you need me to give you more information, I can do it, ofc, with limitations.

-----
I'm using the latest XAMPP (1.8.1)

P.S. I'm an advanced user. I know a lot about how these kinds of things kinda work.
brunoais

Operating System: windows x64 v.6.1.7601

Re: Unable to work with ssh

Postby JonB » 07. October 2012 17:22

Ah - OK, I guess I'm fairly confused how two services are supposed to work on the same port.

I'd be grateful for an explanation, so I could use functionality like that.

I though port 22 or 2200 were the common ports for SSH?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... rt_numbers

Thanks and good luck
8)

ysf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby brunoais » 07. October 2012 17:47

Hum... sounds like it was a huge failure on my part.
So, I need apache to listen on port 22 in order to use ssh "in a default fashion".
I found openssl on apache's directory but I don't seem to be able to find a place in the web about how to configure apache and openssl for me to be able use ssh to transmit files. I did find some tutorials but they were too old or just wrong. I was unable to find a tutorial that worked properly in my system.
brunoais

Postby hackattack142 » 07. October 2012 18:17

I think there might be some confusion. OpenSSL is not the same thing as OpenSSH. Having OpenSSL by itself will not allow you to use SSH. You said HTTPS is working so that would imply your SSL is working also since HTTPS uses SSL. The Windows version of XAMPP does not come with SSH (I don't know about the Linux version but I suspect it is the same). If you did have an SSH server installed, you could also tunnel HTTP though an SSH tunnel instead of using HTTPS.

You can configure Apache SSL settings in /xampp/apache/conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf
You can configure OpenSSL settings in /xampp/apache/bin/openssl.cnf

The SSL certificates that it comes with by default should be good enough for internal testing but you can easily generate new ones with the OpenSSL binary.

You will need to better describe what you are actually trying to accomplish.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby brunoais » 07. October 2012 18:48

*headbang*.
How could I confuse this? I definitely forgot they were different. I'll see if I can find openSSH for windows and then try to use it for my testing in my apache server.
I'll leave a post later if I'm puzzled or if I succeeded in this.
brunoais

Return to XAMPP for Windows