Asking me to uninstall Mysql & Apache manually first

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Asking me to uninstall Mysql & Apache manually first

Postby MuyoSan » 04. September 2012 13:50

Hi. My version of XAMPP keeps requesting that I uninstall Mysql and Apache manually first because another instance of mysql is using the port or something like that. It also says they are detected in wrong path. I figure that just by unclicking in the control panel they would be uninstalled but it doesn't seem to do the trick. I aslo noticed I can't create databases from phpmyadmin that would work when installing joomla on my localhost. The settings only seem to work when I use root as username and no password. i figure this can't be safe. What exactly is wrong with my installation of XAMPP? Anybody?
MuyoSan

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Asking me to uninstall Mysql & Apache manually first

Postby JonB » 04. September 2012 18:38

A. Well - did you have another installation of MySQL or Apache previously? or perhaps a previous version of XAMPP?

If no:

B: 2:02:28 PM [apache] Apache Service Detected With Wrong Path
2:02:28 PM [apache] Uninstall the service manually first
2:02:28 PM [apache] Successful!
2:02:31 PM [mysql] Installing service...
2:02:35 PM [mysql] MySQL Service Detected With Wrong Path
2:02:35 PM [mysql] Uninstall the service manually first
2:02:35 PM [mysql] Successful!

Are those the error messages you are getting exactly (other than the time)?

IF A: is true -

read the sticky at the top - it has instructions on how to un-install.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50988

:)

ysf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Re: Asking me to uninstall Mysql & Apache manually first

Postby JonB » 04. September 2012 18:59

As for you #2 inquiry, there is nothing wrong with XAMPP. ALL MySQL installation only come with 'root' as a single user, with no password. (it will make sense if you think about it).

You are correct, it is a bad idea to use root with a password of "" as the default user for an application IF YOU EXPOSE your installation. YOU have to create users and sometimes the databases to work with applications/scripts. Apparently Joomla kinda danced over/around that issue. I did a Google search and I see folks recommending to run like that. Whatever, you are correct - bad idea. Even if your installation were initially totally local, if at some point you wanted to 'open' it, you would be right back at square one, changing the default user for administration of Joomla.

You would use phpMyAdmin to create the database (perhaps 'joomla') and create a user for Joomla, and to grant the correct privileges.

If you decide to go with root, use the XAMPP security script to set the passwords for 'important accounts'. Its found by clicking 'Security' on the XAMPP Welcome page -

BTW, PULEEEZE - just one question per thread. Also they have these carriage returns <Enter> that you can put in your posts so they are readable.

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows