Cannot access localhost/security in xampp 1.8.0 [Solved]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cannot access localhost/security in xampp 1.8.0 [Solved]

Postby georgefk » 01. September 2012 16:18

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me to get the localhost/security page.
I use Windows 7 Pro.
Before I could not access localhost either so I wiped the localhost/xampp .htaccess file and I am now able to see the home page (in German!).
I can get localhost/phpmyadmin and all my personal scripts in the document root.
Attempts to access localhost/security result in a server error message 500 message.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions that I could try out.
georgefk
georgefk

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro

Re: Cannot access localhost/security in xampp 1.8.0

Postby JonB » 01. September 2012 17:13

Hello georgefk -

There was something wrong 'before' you removed the file. An unsecured fresh copy of XAMPP will not have a .htaccess file in the \xampp\htdocs\xampp folder.

Did you have an earlier version of XAMPP installed, or a prior attempt at 1.8.0?

Where did you install XAMPP? It probably should be in the root of a persistent Windows drive/partition. If its in a subfolder, then no special characters or spaces in the path.

The reason security.php is not working? There are many 'conditions' set by running security.php, it creates a variety of 'hidden' files it later reads to determine its 'status' each time it is run. When you removed the .htaccess file, security.php's state became inconsistent. If you want gory details, read through \xampp\secority\htdocs\security.php

I suggest following the recipe in the sticky above about Upgrading XAMPP to remove XAMPP properly, and then do a fresh install with a clean new DL (preferably the the .7z or .zip versions)
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50988

Good luck
:)

ysf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby georgefk » 01. September 2012 19:27

Dear ysf,
there was xampp 1.7.7 previously. I installed in C:\xampp
Will attempt complete deletion and re-installation.
Thank you
georgefk
georgefk

Postby georgefk » 01. September 2012 20:44

Dear ysf,
happy outcome! Moved old installation out of the way before re-installing (remember to dump databases and
where your old Document Root is kept!). xampp/security is now there! Thank you very much for your help.
best wishes
georgefk
georgefk

Return to XAMPP for Windows