XAMPP Lite and FileZilla

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP Lite and FileZilla

Postby geddy1001 » 14. June 2012 05:46

Hi folks,

Im just wanting to learn some PHP so fI have Xampp Lite on my USB drive and its up and running on my system. Since it does not have FileZilla on the "lite" version, Ive downloaded it as a stand alone. My problem Ive been having is connecting to the "server". Im using "localhost" sometimes and other times the 127.0.0.1 IP address. The error Ive been getting the most is

Resolving address of localhost
Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".

Ive read that could be something to do with a firewall so i turn off my firewalls and still received that error. Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas/advice would definitely be appreciated. I have Windows XP SP3 Thanks!
geddy1001

Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: XAMPP Lite and FileZilla

Postby JonB » 14. June 2012 15:21

A. - You did download the FileZilla 'Server' version, correct???

B. - If you already had a XAMPP installation or a different FTP server running on the host machine of your USB drive, you will have to stop or uninstall that 'original' service before FileZilla can run.

I'm unsure what your goal is, but most times you don't need to connect to an FTP server from the host machine _ but maybe I am missing something too.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby geddy1001 » 14. June 2012 22:58

Thanks Jon

My overall goal is just to learn PHP and Im doing it through a couple of books, so really Im just looking for the most simplistic way possible to do this. It seems like the USB lite is very simplistic and portable (which is another goal of mine) Not looking for anything very complex yet

I took your advice and loaded Filezilla server onto the USB (which it hadnt been in there yet). That definitely was a point in the right direction. The issue I come up with now is my FileZilla client isnt able to connect because of "login information being incorrect". I dont remember setting any login info to get onto Xampp on my thumb drive so I tried the generic examples they give (newuser/wampp, and anoynomous) but that doesnt seem to be working. Am I missing something with that? Thanks again for the help
geddy1001

Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby JonB » 15. June 2012 08:29

You don't need FTP to work locally, you only need it to upload/download form a remote location.

Locally just copy your files into your DocumentRoot (\xampp\htdocs\... ) or edit them 'in place'.

Good Luck
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows