403 Error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

403 Error

Postby SilentThunderStorm » 22. March 2012 19:51

I just fresh installed 1.7.7, and built my directory structure under C:/xampp/htdocs/MyStuff... everything in here seems to be completely inaccessible.

The specific error page that I am getting is:

Code: Select all
Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
localhost
03/22/12 12:57:29
Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/1.0.0e PHP/5.3.8 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1

I have searched through the forum, and several other places, and it seems that the common issue is generally 2 lines within xampp/apache/conf/extra/xampp-httpd.conf where the file references 'Allow from localhost', and the general fix is to fix these lines to 'Allow from 127.0.0.1'.... this does not apply to me, as the lines read, "Allow from ::1 127.0.0.1/8".

Also, by assuming that the error message might actually be related to the nature of the problem, I changed permissions for 'MyStuff' (and all child folders and files) such that everyone attempting to access it has full permissions. This did nothing as well.

I tried resetting apache and clearing the cache from my browser (just in case)... so far, there has been no change at all.

I *can* access localhost, and I do get the apache splash screen, my personal development folder is directly beneath this folder... the full path to the index.php file that I have been trying to open is localhost/MyStuff/Worknet/Extranet/index.php.

Under localhost, most of the pages and tests work perfectly... However, security, phpmyadmin both result in the exact same error message as above (although, the security window opens in a new tab, and phpmyadmin doesn't). Strangely, Webalizer also reults in the same error, but does so as a frame, leaving the xampp panel running down the left side of the screen.

I am really pretty desparate to get this working well... I am trying to build some back end pages for my business, and need to use some of the development software which only works under Windows... so right now, I am running Xampp under Linux and continuously shutting down and swapping sides just to write and debug.

I am hoping that this is something simple under Xampp, and not something impossible under Windows 8... If I have to, I will reformat, and reinstall Windows 7 (and probably have to reinstall Linux as well, then)... but would really rather not, as this means even more downtime.

Any help would result in much appreciation.
SilentThunderStorm

Operating System: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Return to XAMPP for Windows