problem in ie on 127.0.0.1 but not localhost or c:\ [SOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

problem in ie on 127.0.0.1 but not localhost or c:\ [SOLVED]

Postby cre8ive » 20. March 2012 08:42

hi

i've been having this strange problem, it only happens in internet explorer ( version 8 on xp sp3 ) - and only when using through xampp v1.7.4 and accessing it through 127.0.0.1

so i finished coding up a page, all working fine in chrome, checked in safari, firefox, opera - all good. checked in internet explorer - its all gone a bit crazy, its positioning the logo and header text way off the right of the screen, which is strange because it was working fine earlier, so i figure i must have messed something up along the way.

so after hours of checking through and not getting anywhere, i checked the file not through xampp, but as a c:\directory\file.html - and it worked! then i checked the file using localhost/ - and it worked! its only when accessing the file through 127.0.0.1 that is messes up!

see the pics, exactly the same file - just accessed in different ways. all ways work fine in all browsers, except ie when accessed through 127.0.0.1 :?

you can see the logo and title moves position!

accessed through c:\directory\file.html

accessed through localhost/directory/file

accessed through 127.0.0.1/directory/file

as you can see, when accessed through 127.0.0.1 it displays the header all out of place. it does the same with the footer - which it starts displaying halfway across the screen. but only when accessed through 127.0.0.1!

any ideas of why this would be? its not really a huge problem, because i can just use localhost to access and test, but i spent HOURS trying to work out what i'd done wrong!! :x
cre8ive

Operating System: winxp

Re: strange problem in ie on 127.0.0.1 but not localhost or

Postby cre8ive » 20. March 2012 22:53

i've found out what is causing the problem ... sort of

its something called microsoft compatibility view - for whatever reason it was turned on when visiting sites on 127.0.0.1

localhost displays without this compatibility view nonsense. if i turn off compatibly view for 127.0.0.1, it works fine

but this causes another problem, why does the site display weird in compatibility view? what is compatibility view?! i'd never heard of it. loads of people still use ie, and if they're visiting the site in compatibility view, its going to display weird ... but thats for another forum :)
cre8ive

Operating System: winxp

Return to XAMPP for Windows