1. I downloaded the ZIP file instead of the the EXE file, and saved it to the "Downloads" folder.
2. Using WinRAR I extracted all contents within it.
3. After extracting the ZIP file, I moved the newly created "xampp" folder from "Downloads" to "C:\"
4. Next, I turned off the User Account Control (UAC).
5. Then, navigated to "C:\xampp" and created a shortcut to the Desktop.
6. Ran the new XAMPP Control Desktop shortcut and "Start"ed the ones for MySQL, Apache and Tomcat. For, MySQL, Apache I see a green "Running" indicator. However, for Tomcat NOTHING. The log shows that Tomcat has started on port 8080, but in reality it is not and I am not seeing green "Running" indicator.
The following screen shot shows this:
When I open up Web Browser, and type in http://localhost I see the XAMPP splash screen. But, if I try with http://localhost:8080, it shows "unable to connect". If I go to Tomcat Status I see:
Why is Tomcat DEACTIVATED? I have tried to install XAMPP 1.7.7 with .EXE file and the same thing happens. How can I fix this?
P.S. this might be a stupid question...... but here goes. What is the difference between an Apache service and a Tomcat service (see the first image)?