Object not found / error 404

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Object not found / error 404

Postby elena_leo » 02. March 2012 14:17

Dear Sirs hellow,

I'm facing a problem when I'm trying to connect with my local host. I have downloaded xampp 1.7.3 and I'm working in a local basis with a site through joomla. Inspite of the fact that I can have access in my local site of joomla, I don't have access in xampp (when I write in a window explorer http://localhost/xampp/splash.php, the message that appears is "object not found error 404". Could you please help me???

Thank you !!!

Elena

[EDIT by Altrea: moved to the correct forum 8) ]
elena_leo

Operating System: windows 7 home premioum

Re: Object not found / error 404

Postby Sharley » 02. March 2012 18:15

Hello Elena,
When ever you have error messages first read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file as it may have a clue why it can't find the splash screen.

I have 1.7.3 installed and have no problems going to that address you posted but I use my web browser not Windows Explorer.

Let me know back if you don't understand the error.log file's entry for your object not found error.

Best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby elena_leo » 03. March 2012 12:26

Hi,

thank you for your quick answer... I went to the file you told me \xampp\apache\logs\error (error.log file doesnt exist)... and I found this message
"make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs"

Since I have run the cports file, i didn't find anything else in port 80 except from apache... I don't understand whats going on (since I am just a graphic designer and I don't know any programmign code html or css...)

Thank you very much for your time....

Elena
elena_leo

Postby elena_leo » 03. March 2012 12:29

I forgot to write you the all message when i write localhost/xampp/splash.php in a mozilla firefox window

"Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
localhost
03/03/12 13:27:04
Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.1 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1"

thanks again...
elena_leo

Postby Sharley » 03. March 2012 23:26

Your Operating System Windows 97 has me somewhat confused.
What Windows version are you using and if different to the one you have in your profile would you be so kind as to correct it by following these instructions here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48626
Thanks. :)

Port 80 in use means that your Apache in XAMPP can't bind to port 80 so that needs to be corrected - make sure that you do not have IIS (Internet Information Service) or any of it's related services running as they will conflict with Apache and MySQL in XAMPP.

Also this (error.log file doesnt exist) means that Apache in XAMPP has never started and so you may be missing a runtime file that you can download and install from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=5582

After installing the missing runtime file and making sure that you do not have any other server service running then try this (check using the Port-check button in the XAMPP Control Panel):

1. Run your control panel - xampp-control.exe from the xampp installation folder and if you are using Win 7 then right click and select to run as an administrator even though you may be logged into your PC as an administrator.

2. Sop Apache and MySQL (and any other running component).

3. Remove any ticks in the Svc check boxes by simply clicking on the tick if there are any present.

4. Make sure now that you don't have any ticks in the Svc check boxes and all XAMPP components are stopped - you should now have a blank or greyed out control panel.

5. Click on the Port-check button in the control panel and make sure that all the ports in the list are showing 'free'.

6. Now you can start Apache and MySQL in the control panel but do not tick any of the Svc check boxes as they are not required for normal use of XAMPP - make sure that they both show a green running indication.

7. You can now do a port check again and see if Apache and MySQL are showing the path to your XAMPP Apache and MySQL on ports 80 - 443 - 3306.

8. Now you can type http://localhost in your browser's address bar and after selecting your language you should be at the XAMPP Welcome page - you could also click on the Admin button next to Apache in the control panel to have the same pages displayed in your browser.

9. To test your XAMPP installation is fully functioning, run all the demos in the left menu frame of the Welcome page often referred to the XAMPP admin page.

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby ngoma673 » 16. February 2015 18:04

my pages looks in two directories after browsing on my site, when i try to return to the main page. eg image/images/index.php instead of images/index.php, please help
ngoma673

Operating System: windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows