DSO support for XAMPP??

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

DSO support for XAMPP??

Postby WolfShade » 30. November 2011 02:17

Hello, everyone.

Successfully installed XAMPP 1.7.7; successfully installed CF9 as a standalone for IIS; trying to get the two to work together.

After CF9 is installed, instructions say to use the Web Configuration Tool to add the Apache connector for CF Server 9. But when I do, it fails with an error message "Apache must be configured to support DSO to install JRun4."

Been looking high and low; so far I find things for compiling DSO support into Apache, or using something else as a third party plugin.

Is there an easy way to modify conf files, or something, in order to get DSO support into Apache 2.2.21 under XAMPP??

I can't finish this install until I get XAMPP to support DSO.

Thanks,

^_^
WolfShade

Operating System: Windows XP / SP3 | Apache 2.2

Re: DSO support for XAMPP??

Postby JonB » 30. November 2011 16:18

OK - I'll do my best to explain this -

AFAIK and understand this - The only way to get that support is with a compilation of Apache that has the DSO support 'built-in'.

For that to work with XAMPP 1.7.7, NORAMLLY, you would need to recompile from the same Apache Software Foundation source that ApacheLounge used with with a VC9 Microsoft compiler, such as Visual C++ 2008 or Visual Studio 2008

UNFORTUNATELY - I read this "On modern Unix derivatives there exists a nifty mechanism usually called dynamic linking/loading of Dynamic Shared Objects (DSO) which provides a way to build a piece of program code in a special format for loading it at run-time into the address space of an executable program."

JonB interprets that to mean this is OS dependent, and may not work on WIndows.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/dso.html

the term 'static' there should be read as 'permanently in memory'

http://www.apachelounge.com/download/

The right place to ask this question would be on the PAche Lounge or ASF's forums.

http://www.apachelounge.com/

http://www.apache.org/

Good Luck.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby WolfShade » 30. November 2011 23:24

Hi, JonB, and thanks for the information.

I haven't clicked any of the links, yet, but based upon what you have said, I'm inclined to think that it may be more hassle than it's worth. At least as far as XAMPP is concerned. It would probably be easier to just get source and compile my own Apache server that will include DSO support in the kernal, rather than as a plugin.

But I'll take your advice and post in the other forums, to see if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks!

^_^
WolfShade

Postby JonB » 30. November 2011 23:51

I think that will have to be on a Unix derivative - i.e. BSD, Mac or Linux, and if you are planning on working with PHP, its possible that may need to be re-compiled as well -

just my reading.
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby WolfShade » 01. December 2011 00:29

Okay. As much as I love ColdFusion, its decline in popularity is forcing me to face reality. Sadly. I will miss CF, terribly.

So.. a new direction. JonB, how difficult would it be to set XAMPP up to work with ASP.Net and/or Java on a Windows XP/SP3 system?

Thanks,

^_^
WolfShade

Postby JonB » 01. December 2011 03:41

LOL - I was considering saying 'wow Cold Fusion is STILL around???' - I never latched on to Macromedia, and kinda went right to MySQL on the web. Even though I have a huge investment in Adobe Suite products, I will have to admit I had to do a Google on CF9 - that is how far out of my brain stream it was.

I'm NOT an expert on things dot.net (although I used to do SQL Server - but I used a proprietary development system that was built over VS, and I never saw the guts - that stuff I did is all now part of MS itself[Dynamics]). I think Hackattack or some of the others might know better. And you should think about MS changing the development paradigm again for Windows 8.

I'm a database, info-structure and architecture guy, and I mostly work with 'frameworks'. :idea:

I hope you did post a couple questions over there, because I'm as curious as you are. I do think you are being realistic on 'sunsetting Cold Fusion' and looking for newer, perhaps more nimble (note - no use of the well-worn-word agile) environments. A lot of your choice should be dictated by the requirements of your target applications - might well be time for 'Azure Tides'. Java is certainly a choice for app-building, and has a pretty good head of steam right now.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby hackattack142 » 01. December 2011 06:03

...how difficult would it be to set XAMPP up to work with ASP.Net and/or Java on a Windows XP/SP3 system?

If you are looking to work with Java, you could look into Apache Tomcat (which is included with XAMPP). In short, it is a Java Servlet and Java Server Pages container server.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby WolfShade » 01. December 2011 18:01

@JonB - Honestly, I was convinced that CF would die as soon as Adobe absorbed MacroMedia; but they are striving to improve it, surprisingly, and doing some nice stuff with it. Again, I'm sad to walk away from it. I love the robustness and how customizable it is. Very versatile. If I can get CF9 to work with Apache, I'll be sure to post in this forum how it was accomplished.

@hackattack142 - All I have to do is activate the Tomcat in the XAMPP CP, and I can start learning Java? That's it?

Thank you, both, for your insight.

^_^
WolfShade

Postby hackattack142 » 01. December 2011 23:37

To start the Tomcat server, yes, it is that simple. I would encourage you to read up on it a little bit to determine if it will fit your needs before diving into learning a bunch of new things. You can also access some examples of each (servlets and JSPs) including source code that are included with XAMPP. To do that, you would need to start Apache and Tomcat, go to the main XAMPP page, and click on the 'Tomcat Examples' in the left navigation bar under 'J2EE'. You will also need Java (preferably the JDK if you are planning on development) installed to start Tomcat and use the examples. I do not use it personally so that is about all the direction I can give you.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby WolfShade » 02. December 2011 02:09

I'll do that, too, and report back here. Thanks!

^_^
WolfShade

Return to XAMPP for Windows