XAMPP: control services from the shell 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP: control services from the shell 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Postby ChrisJakarta » 21. November 2011 10:08

Previous versions of xampp included a program xampp_cli.exe (XAMPP: control services from the shell), which I used for executing starting and stopping Apache and MySql from inside a program. This program was also called by the start and stop batch files. This program does not seem to be included with v1.7.7.

What is now the preferred method for executing starts and stops? Call the batch file? Execute the commands from the batch file?

I'd be grateful for any guidance on this...

Chris
ChrisJakarta

Re: XAMPP: control services from the shell

Postby Sharley » 21. November 2011 10:18

Hello Chris.

Have you tried copying the xampp_cli.exe from the zip or 7zip archive file of version 1.7.3 to the installation folder of 1.7.7 and see if it works for you?
SourceForge XAMPP File Repository
Might be worth a try and if it works I would like to hear back from you. :)

Not sure about why it has been excluded but my guess is that it was created and copyrighted by a developer that is no longer with us because he would not adhere to the XAMPP policy of open source.

Nothing to stop end users from copying from one XAMPP version to another if they choose to do so as it has a FreeBSD License. ;)

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby ChrisJakarta » 21. November 2011 11:33

Sharley,

You're right - that seems to work! Need to do a little more testing to be 100% sure there are no problems, but it certainly starts and stops Apache and MySQL.

My only concern is that the batch files for stopping both in v1.7.7 call a program "apache\bin\pv.exe" (with a number of parameters) that does not appear to exist in earlier versions. I just worry that the CLI might not close everything down in an orderly manner.

Looking at the file properties of xampp_cli.exe, I find "Copyright © 2009 Carsten Wiedmann (FreeBSD License)". I assume this confirms your guess.

Thanks
Chris
ChrisJakarta

Postby Sharley » 21. November 2011 11:48

Hello Chris.

If I remember correctly pv.exe was discontinued a while back because it caused high CPU usage until it was killed by the task manager - caused many a support request.

It is now included in 1.7.7 so one assumes this issue has been addressed.

Thanks for the feed back and I wish you good luck with the cli. 8)

BTW could you please add your XAMPP version and OS to your profile -thanks:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48626

I will close this now and mark it solved.

Best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows