Apache still won't start even after port change

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Barry Fruitman » 18. November 2011 20:09

Hi all,

I just installed XAMPP 1.7.7 and I got the usual conflict with Skype, so I changed to port 81, and it still won't start.

In httpd.conf I changed the listen port to 81:
Listen 81

I also found and changed this entry in XAMPP.INI:
[PORTS]
apache = 81


But when I start Apache in the Control Panel I see:
Busy...
Apache started [Port 80]

and Apache doesn't start. :(

When I disable Skype it starts and listens on port 81 so I know the problem is with XAMPP control panel, not Apache.

How do I convince XAMPP that Apache is listening on Port 81? I never had this problem running version 1.7.3 on Windows XP.


Thanks in advance,
Barry
P.S. Disabling Skype is not an option for me!
Barry Fruitman
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 18. November 2011 19:55
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Sharley » 18. November 2011 21:15

No need to disable Skype just change the ports that it uses.

Skype uses ports 80 and 443 by default.

You can alter that behavior by going to:
Tools\Connection options...\Connections

Untick
Use port 80 and 443 as alternative for incoming connections

Then return the httpd.conf file to the default port number 80 and then try and start Apache.
Use the newer Control Panel xampp-control-3-beta.exe in the xampp folder as it has more features and a better log window including a log file that is created in the xampp folder - Exit the older 2.5 version first.

If it does not start this time read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues.

If you don't see an error.log file or any log files please let me know.
User avatar
Sharley
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: 03. October 2008 05:10
Location: Yeppoon, Australia Time Zone: GMT/UTC+10
Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Barry Fruitman » 19. November 2011 06:43

Hi Sharley,

Thank you very much, but how do I change the ports XAMPP/Apache uses? As I said above I changed the port to 81 in both httpd.conf and XAMPP.INI but I still see "Apache started [Port 80]" in the old console. I tried the control-3-beta and it warned about the port conflict with Skype (even though I've configued Apache to use port 81). It also fails to launch Apache.

There is nothing in the error or access logs. If there was an actual port conflict, Apache would report an error, but it doesn't. Presumably XAMPP is preventing the launch because it mistakenly believes there will be a port conflict.

Is this a bug in XAMPP? It seems to think there is a port conflict where there is none.


Thanks,
Barry
Barry Fruitman
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 18. November 2011 19:55
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Sharley » 19. November 2011 06:53

No bugs but the old Control Panel is hard coded.

Download the latest panel from the update sticky topic and use it instead, also read the new features that have been added.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932

Are there any access.log or error.log files in the logs folder at all - this is important information I need.

Paste in here the part of the httpd.conf file that you changed - usually line 47
(Best to return it to the default port 80)

What is XAMPP.ini as I don't know that one.


My advise is that you really should configure Skype to use other ports as it will not affect Skype in any way at all, then you can have the best of both worlds with Skype and Apache running at the same time.

Or start Apache before Skype and then Skype will use other ports automagically.

Skype should not use the default http or https ports as they are reserved for use by web sites.

Best to change the Apache port back to 80 again as you will more than likely have confusion problems in the future.
User avatar
Sharley
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: 03. October 2008 05:10
Location: Yeppoon, Australia Time Zone: GMT/UTC+10
Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Barry Fruitman » 19. November 2011 23:23

Hi Shayley,

There is nothing in access.log or error.log. Apache doesn't even start.

The only lines I changed in httpd.conf are:
Listen 81
ServerName localhost:81


And in XAMPP.INI:
[PORTS]
apache = 81



I think it is a bug in 1.7.7 because I just downgraded to 1.7.3 and it works great. Apache starts and listens on port 81 even when Skype isn't running.


Thanks,
Barry
Barry Fruitman
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 18. November 2011 19:55
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Altrea » 19. November 2011 23:39

Please check if you have installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86).
This is a requirement for the current XAMPP version.
We don't provide any support via personal channels like PM, email, Skype, TeamViewer!

It's like porn for programmers 8)
User avatar
Altrea
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 8299
Joined: 17. August 2009 13:05
XAMPP version: several
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Sharley » 19. November 2011 23:57

Hello Barley,
Barry Fruitman wrote:Hi Shayley,

There is nothing in access.log or error.log. Apache doesn't even start.

Yes that is the important information I requested because if the log files are not created then Apache has never started as when it does eventually start you will notice that the log files have been created and entries for when Apache starts and when it stops will be added.

The runtime files missing from your Windows 7 64 bit operating system as mentioned by Altrea will fix your issues with 1.7.7 once they have been downloaded and installed.

You will then be able to enjoy Apache on port 80 (recommended) and if you change the settings in Skype (recommended) both at the same time.

Best wishes. :)
User avatar
Sharley
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: 03. October 2008 05:10
Location: Yeppoon, Australia Time Zone: GMT/UTC+10
Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Barry Fruitman » 20. November 2011 18:37

Hi Shayley,

Thanks again for your help, but:
1. The MS Visual C++ 2008 redistributable was already installed on my computer. XAMPP and Apache both run, just not under the conditions I want (i.e. listening on port 81 while Skype is running).
2. I did say in my second post that there was nothing in the error or access logs. That was my first clue that XAMPP wasn't launching Apache.
3. Reverting to 1.7.3 solved the problem immediately so I'll stick with that for now.

I still think this is a bug in XAMPP 1.7.7 because I did everything you said and it still doesn't work. Please read my original post, where I described the difference in behavior from 1.7.3 to 1.7.7. If I changed the port settings everywhere to 81, why is the XAMPP 1.7.7 console still reporting:
Busy...
Apache started [Port 80]


Why does Apache start and listen on port 81 after I stop Skype, which is listening on port 80? To me the answer is obvious: XAMPP thinks there is a port conflict, when there is none, and refuses to start Apache. It seems to me that XAMPP 1.7.7 checks for conflicts on port 80 even if Apache is listening to another port. Is port 80 hard-coded somewhere? Doesn't it check the Apache port in XAMPP.INI?

I'm not writing this to complain about XAMPP, which I think is awesome, but to report what I'm pretty sure is a bug, so it can be fixed in the next version.


Thanks,
Barry
Barry Fruitman
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 18. November 2011 19:55
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby hackattack142 » 20. November 2011 19:37

That started message is hardcoded into that old version 2.5 control panel so even if you change it, it will still say 'port 80'. You could try using the newer control panel version 3 (xampp-control-3-beta.exe) in the 'xampp' folder. You can updated it to version 3.0.8 from here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932&p=186862#p186862. It allows you do customize which ports the control panel checks when starting so there will be no conflicts. It should not have that problem and offers additional functionality.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142
 
Posts: 703
Joined: 20. May 2011 23:29
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Altrea » 20. November 2011 19:44

Hi Barry,
just to move some information to the right direction. This thread is full of half true and missing informations.

1st:
Why don't you just follow Sharleys recommandation to configure Skype not to use Ports 80 and 443? Thats the best solution. Skype can run without these ports as good as with them. That are default parts for HTTP and SSL communication. Skype is not a webserver and shouldn't use these ports.

2nd:
The XAMPP.INI file works, if it is used the right way. It has to be copied into your XAMPP base directory first. the src folder where it can be found is just to hold the sources of the compiled software, nothing more.

3rd:
If you change the port of Apache in it's configuration file, it will use it. The control panel can't know these ports, because the files will not be parsed to get them. But thats okay, the control panel uses batch scripts or command line parameters to start the single components, and that files uses the original configuration files of that components. The control panel v2.5 can be configured with the XAMPP.INI file, the new control panel v3 in it's own GUI, but as i say, thats just for information, don't do anything for it's functionality.

4th:
Apache needs two ports to be open and both of them have to be open that Apache can start. If you just change Port 80 to 81 but 443 is blocked by SKype, Apache can still not start.

5th:
It is not a bug, just a information deficit on your side.
We don't provide any support via personal channels like PM, email, Skype, TeamViewer!

It's like porn for programmers 8)
User avatar
Altrea
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 8299
Joined: 17. August 2009 13:05
XAMPP version: several
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Barry Fruitman » 20. November 2011 20:02

Hi Altrea,

Copying XAMPP.INI to the base directory is what I needed. I'm back on XAMPP 1.7.7 running Apache on port 81! :) :) :)


Thank you!
Barry
Barry Fruitman
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 18. November 2011 19:55
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Altrea » 20. November 2011 20:05

Never mind, seems like talking to a wall...
We don't provide any support via personal channels like PM, email, Skype, TeamViewer!

It's like porn for programmers 8)
User avatar
Altrea
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 8299
Joined: 17. August 2009 13:05
XAMPP version: several
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Barry Fruitman » 20. November 2011 20:30

Altrea wrote:Never mind, seems like talking to a wall...

Wow! Did I really deserve that?

I never meant any offense, I just want to run Apache on port 81! That's all I was asking for help with. I understand it is not recommended but want to do it anyway. There are lots of valid reasons for running a web server on a non-standard port -- especially a development server -- including the fact that I've been doing it this way for years and would rather not change all my scripts and development habits just because I upgraded from XAMPP 1.7.3 to 1.7.7.

Anyway I really do appreciate your and Sharley's time. Please keep up the great work on XAMPP.


Thanks again,
Barry
Barry Fruitman
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 18. November 2011 19:55
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Altrea » 20. November 2011 20:42

Barry Fruitman wrote:Wow! Did I really deserve that?

Yes, i think so. People here tried to give you all information which they know. But you don't react on most of the information but just on the points you want to. How should we know, what you are doing, understanding and wanting? You have to give much more response next time in future threads. It's really frustrating to shoot on all relevant parts just because of missing reactions.

Barry Fruitman wrote:I just want to run Apache on port 81! That's all I was asking for help with.

And that doesn't have anything to do with the XAMPP.INI file which you say was the solution of your problem. The ini file don't force Apache to use any ports. It just configures the information you get on the control panel status window.
The only configuration which is relevant for your Apache ports are its very own configuration files, in your case the httpd.conf and httpd-ssl.conf.

Barry Fruitman wrote:I understand it is not recommended but want to do it anyway. There are lots of valid reasons for running a web server on a non-standard port -- especially a development server -- including the fact that I've been doing it this way for years and would rather not change all my scripts and development habits just because I upgraded from XAMPP 1.7.3 to 1.7.7.

And you don't thought that is an information which can be important? We all thought you want to change the port because you don't see any other choice because something is blocking your port. You don't give any information about that you want it anyway. We could all save lot of time if we would have get much more information. Better think of that the next time.
We don't provide any support via personal channels like PM, email, Skype, TeamViewer!

It's like porn for programmers 8)
User avatar
Altrea
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 8299
Joined: 17. August 2009 13:05
XAMPP version: several
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: Apache still won't start even after port change

Postby Sharley » 20. November 2011 23:05

I absolutely agree with Altrea as your first post is quite clear about what issues you had and my following posts were aimed at correcting that issue.

Your attitude throughout has been non responsive to questions or suggestion, completely taking the stance to repeatedly ignore them, which only now we see the real reason for it in your very last post when you were poked into responding to criticism.

It would have been helpful if you had read the forum announcements before posting at all.


I will close this topic now.
User avatar
Sharley
AF Moderator
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: 03. October 2008 05:10
Location: Yeppoon, Australia Time Zone: GMT/UTC+10
Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3


Return to XAMPP for Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JJ_Tagy and 38 guests