charset name

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

charset name

Postby Jozjasz » 16. November 2011 19:46

Hello everybody,

I am using XAMPP 1.7.1 at home.

In my www I use latin2.

Now, as I put:
echo mysqli_character_set_name($link));

It outputs: latin1. So I have question-marks in my www (on localhost). I wish I knew where I could change that value to get 'latin2' instead. I couldn't find the neccessary field in phpmyadmin that represents this value... Could somebody please help me with this issue and to get 'latin2' instead of 'latin1' ? Every possible field I have set to 'latin2' in phpmyadmin but I still get 'latin1' while using the said function.

Where and what shall I change... :-/

thanks
Jozjasz

Re: charset name

Postby tonetone » 16. November 2011 21:08

Jozjasz

I've successfully changed my charset to utf-8 by using:

Code: Select all
mysql_set_charset("utf8", $link);
mysql_query("SET `CHARACTER_SET_SERVER` = 'utf8'", $link );

every time I make a connection. You might have some success using this for latin2.

Tone
tonetone

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Jozjasz » 16. November 2011 21:23

yeas I know that. However I am using 'mysqli' and not 'mysql'. 'mysqli' is newer.

However I would like to set it in Mysql server permanently!
So the question is still awaiting an answer...
Jozjasz

Postby Sharley » 17. November 2011 00:03

Have you tried setting your preferred utf-8* language in phpMyAdmin under General Settings as the default language for MySQL?
You can select any language you prefer here.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby JonB » 17. November 2011 16:32

This is really a MySQL/phpMyAdmin issue, not a XAMPP issue - although we are happy to help with non-XAMPP issues, our 'job' is to make XAMPP work as a suite -

A good tool to configure and tweak MySQL settings is MySQL Workbench. Its an Oracle community free project developed by MySQL. I use it professionally to design and tweak databases. It runs on Windows, Mac and Linux/Solaris, and is completely portable. I use it on both my Linux and Windows workstations.

http://wb.mysql.com/

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Jozjasz » 19. November 2011 14:39

Thanks but I don't want to install third party's software or something. As for the first page in phpmyadmin I have there 'latin2' (changeable), and on the right-hand side I have 'utf-8' (no select options available I can just read it.)

And "echo mysqli_character_set_name($link));" gives me 'latin1'.

Extraordinary, isn't it? Don't you have the same problem.... It looks like I need to use:

'mysqli_set_charset($connect, "latin2");

then hopefully I do not get any question marks... but I wish I could set it in phpmyadmin or somewhere in configuration file...

thanks
Jozjasz

Postby JonB » 19. November 2011 16:49

The right place for that particular discussion is on phpMyAdmin's or the MySQL forums and/or bug reporting.
(not to be sarcastic, just realistic - no one here wrote phpMyAdmin, the use of latin2 is very limited and they may be unaware of the bug.)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyad ... orum/72909

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=377408

I also have to point out that in Open Source - everything is a third party tool (think about it). A 'Stack" is a conglomeration of parts from many sources, all pretty much created independently and definitely on their own schedules.

Good Luck on getting your problem addressed.

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows