MYSQL Error 1042 Cant get hostname

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: MYSQL Error 1042 Cant get hostname

Postby MacGuffin » 15. November 2011 08:08

I appreciate you need to know the xampp version and operating system. I stated this in my original post and also where I listed the steps I had done. Its just a little frustrating when you ask for information that is already stated.

I have tried all versions zip, installer, lite, full. Same result every time. I am focusing on the light USB because by using a minimalist version I am eliminating possible suspects. You should know the difference between the different versions and the effects of those differences. Would instaling Filezilla make any difference. Are the components in Lite the same as in the full version. I am getting the feeling we are just clutching at straws stumbling around in hope that changing something works.

My plan is to trial and error all versions again and combinations including other software solutions or install components individual. I think the solution is to be found by focusing on the error message (cannot resolve hostname). I dont think ant-virus or firewalls would give that error.

If and when I stumble across the solution I will update this thread with the answer or culprit.
MacGuffin

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby JonB » 15. November 2011 15:05

Although I was not involved in the original troubleshooting - I have a bit of a bone to pick -

You should know the difference between the different versions and the effects of those differences. Would instaling Filezilla make any difference. Are the components in Lite the same as in the full version.

I need to point out to you -

A. - this is FREE Open Source Software - by inference, it is primarily DIY. There is absolutely no structure beyond a few developers who bundle the software, and (only recently) a few Moderators who try to guide things along.

B. - XAMMP is a suite DISTRIBUTION - that means some of the issues may come from the components, or the OS, or environment, and not from XAMPP. Everytime a new release comes along, everyone has to start from scratch. New problems, new solutions. At the moment, we don't know the source of the issue in your case (obviously). Have you seen how many versions have been cranked out in the last year? Two of them were due to 'errors' made by other (major) parties. The XAMPP devs turned right around and rebundled. A LOT of work.

C. - All the folks who are answering your questions are VOLUNTEERS, who spend their valuable time trying to solve your issues. Most of us have 'jobs/responsibilities' that provide a living, and must be attended to. Consequently, there can be no 'accountability', beyond making a best effort to try to resolve the issue, or referring it to the developers. There is no training budget, or printed documentation - everything is done by knowledge, intuition and installation & testing. A LOT of that too...

You are also absolutely right - you have the CHOICE of what to run with Open Source software.

I - personally - think/guess that the problem lies in the 'Light' version issue.

Now that my mini-rant is over, I wish you good luck and hope that you will post the result.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby MacGuffin » 15. November 2011 22:50

Permit me to respond.

1. I appreciate it is free and have at no time complained about xampp. Far from it, I complemented it saying the reason I am perservering is because I think it is the best. I have been nothing other than courteous and thanked both yourself and Sharley (not Sharkey) for the assistance. I ask for help in this forum because looking at other threads it seems to be an appropriate place.

I'm not sure if I agree that freeware means DIY. It implies no liability and "Another essential requirement for support" in your sticky implies support is given, I'm not suggesting you have not given support just pointing out the "support" is not quite "DIY".

2. I appreciate its a distribution and, as I mentioned above, have not complained. What you say makes me wonder if perhaps I should try an older version.

3. It was not "obvious" to me from the outset that you did not know. I assumed you would or at least could point me in the right direction. It only became obvious later.

4. I appreciate you are volounteers. I run a forum where I am a volounteer and aside from that often help people with various problems, technical and otherwise so I understand your point only too well. But here is where we differ. If you ask a man on the street of a foreign city for directions to the railway station., you assume he knows and if he doesn't you expect him to indicate his uncertainty by saying something like :"I dont know but think it may be down this street because I see a lot of taxis going there." rather than "have you tried this street, have you tried that street". You are not paying the man for directions, he is under no obligation to help, you appreciate his efforts but nonetheless you'd like to know if he knows or is trying to help you go through the possibilities..

As regards my problem, I was suspicious of the lite package because some time ago I downloaded the lite version and it was the full version. This indicated to me distribution errors are possible. Incidentally, I am wondering why the phpMyAdmin folder is outide of htdocs.

BUT .... the lite package works on my XP machine which suggests it is okay. Also, I have tried the other versions as well as WAMP, EasyPhp both with same error. I have already said this so am surprised you point the finger at the lite package. My guess is a conflict somewhere.

Anyhow I thank you once again and perhaps you can appreciate why, after spending weeks Doing It Myself trying every version and possibility, I became frustrated that my post did not get me any closer to finding the answer.
Last edited by Sharley on 15. November 2011 23:21, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: I corrected your incorrect spelling of my name - Sharley not Sharkey!
MacGuffin

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby JonB » 16. November 2011 00:37

I won't debate the requisite depth of knowledge of diagnose problems with literally dozens of variants of 5 or more software packages - you do the math and tell me what that is worth. I do know 'my' hourly rate that businesses pay...

I wasn't part of the debugging - did you happen to mention this -

Also, I have tried the other versions as well as WAMP, EasyPhp both with same error. I have already said this so am surprised you point the finger at the lite package. My guess is a conflict somewhere.

that might point to an unreported MySQL error (and i said 'guess' BTW) - its also possible you have a problem that is unique to your machine or setup, it happens.

to that point, well, NOT unreported bug --

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=52923
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=62419
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?11,169559

So this might be true -
What you say makes me wonder if perhaps I should try an older version.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby hackattack142 » 16. November 2011 06:22

A couple more things you could look at/try:

What, if any, errors are showing in your MySQL Error Log (xampp/mysql/data/mysql_error.log)? It might provide more specific details than what is being displayed in phpMyAdmin/the console.

Have you tried uncommenting the "::1 localhost" entry in your Windows HOSTS file (it is the IPv6 localhost)?
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Previous

Return to XAMPP for Windows