Asynchronous AcceptEx failed

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Asynchronous AcceptEx failed

Postby byf » 04. November 2011 02:10

I run a chat site and I am trying to use xampp to host my files. I setup a windows 7 pc with a AMD 6 core processor to host the chat. Everything is working however at times things get laggy and apache stops responding. For instance when too many users try to log in at the same time apache hangs up. I found several errors in the apache logs that may lead me to a solution. The error is "Asynchronous AcceptEx failed".

Anyone have any suggestions on this error? Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
byf

Operating System: windows 7

Re: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed

Postby Sharley » 04. November 2011 02:17

In your text editor open \apache\conf\extra\httpd-mpm.exe and find this section (only this section is relevant to Windows) and remove the comment # from in front so it looks like the line in red
# WinNT MPM
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in the server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
# Win32DisableAcceptEx: Use accept() rather than AcceptEx() to accept network connections
<IfModule mpm_winnt_module>
ThreadsPerChild 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 0
Win32DisableAcceptEx
</IfModule>
Save the file and restart Apache, test again.

Other performance related settings can be found in the httpd-default.conf file in the same folder.

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby byf » 04. November 2011 02:25

Mine looks exactly like that except I have a # in front of Win32DisableAcceptEx it says #Win32DisableAcceptEx. So I just need to take the # sign off?
byf

Postby Sharley » 04. November 2011 02:31

Sharley wrote:In your text editor open \apache\conf\extra\httpd-mpm.exe and find this section (only this section is relevant to Windows) and remove the comment # from in front so it looks like the line in red
:)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby byf » 04. November 2011 02:46

Got it. THANKS!!!!!!!!!! If this works you're on top of my xmas list! lol
byf

Postby Sharley » 04. November 2011 02:49

Your welcome and please post back if that was the fix for your issue so it may help others who search for a similar solution.
Thanks and good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby byf » 06. November 2011 04:09

I'm not getting anymore errors but apache is still freezing up and wont restart. I have a new setup for my chat login and the first login tends to lag due to caching issues. When several users are logging in, apache just freezes up and it will not clear itself up. No errors in the logs. I'm frustrated :(
byf

Postby Sharley » 06. November 2011 04:14

So does that mean I am not at the top of your Xmas lists? :D

Let's see if I can get back up there. ;)

Look in the Event Viewer under Applications - it is a Windows Admin Tool.
See if there are any clue entries why Apache httpd.exe is locking up.

Could this issue be some problem with your login script perhaps?

Which chat login script is it?

byf wrote:the first login tends to lag due to caching issues
How do you know that?
Also if the first login slows things down then it would seem logical that even more simultaneous logins would have a multiplying effect.

Check your Task Manager>Processes tab and see if there are any processes using high CPU when one or multiple users are logging in.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby byf » 06. November 2011 04:46

I have several duplicate errors that all involve the following. Port 80 is open and everything works fine until several people that login for the first time try to login at the same time. The lag on the first login has something to do with browser caching, I believe. Once they do the initial login there is no more lagging.

The Apache service named reported the following error:
>>> [Sat Nov 05 15:01:39 2011] [notice] Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API .

>>> (OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80

>>> (OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

>>> no listening sockets available, shutting down
>>> Unable to open logs .
>>> [Sat Nov 05 16:02:16 2011] [notice] Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API .
byf

Postby byf » 06. November 2011 05:03

I use visichat 2.5.8 script and there is no high usage on the CPU. I have been monitoring it while trying to do this migration. Once users login one time they can log right in after that with no problems so I think the lag on the first login is simply a cache thing, but I'm not sure.
byf

Postby Sharley » 06. November 2011 05:18

First I will look at those errors etc. that you posted
byf wrote:>>> [Sat Nov 05 15:01:39 2011] [notice] Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API
This is only a Notice and has no effect on the running of Apache. ie not an Error.

byf wrote:(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
These on the other hand are errors.
Did you change the Listen Directive in the httpd.conf file?

Do you also run Skype?
If so then open the Skype configuration options and untick the box that uses port 80 and 443.

This error may also apply to other scripts/applications that are using those ports.

Use the Control Panel Version 3 in your xampp folder - there is a button Netstat that will show you what is using those ports - Stop Apache and MySQL if they are running and Exit the older 2.5 panel first.
It also has a log file that you can paste the last entries when you tried to start Apache etc.

Let me know what happens when you Start Apache and MySQL using the new Control Panel3
xampp-control-3-beta.exe

What browser are you using as there is a setting that will allow you to increase the cache size or even remove the cache altogether but that depends on your browser.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby byf » 06. November 2011 21:09

Apache has port 80 and no other programs appear to be trying to use it. However I suspect this could be a hardware problem with the router because when I tried to change servers the ports i need (including 80) were locked shut even though they appeared opened in the list. I had to manually factory reset and config the router to get them back open.

I will know more when the router comes in.

In the meantime for some strange reason myphpadmin will not accept my password. I really need in there. Any suggestions? (for dummies). lol
byf

Postby Sharley » 06. November 2011 22:26

phpMyAdmin uses the same password as MySQL.

1. Stop MySQL in the CP3
2. Run \xampp\mysql\resetroot.bat file.
3. Start MySQL and now go to phpMyAdmin and enter username root no password and see if you can now access.
4. To set a new password use the Security menu item in http://localhost/xampp/index.php
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby byf » 10. November 2011 21:02

I put the new router in today. I tried migrating my users but apache still hangs up at times. Here are the reports when I start up the new Xampp panel.

1:59:09 PM [main] Initializing main
1:59:09 PM [main] Windows version: 5.1 (build 2600) - Service Pack 3
1:59:09 PM [main] Xampp version: 1.7.7
1:59:09 PM [main] Control center version: 3.0.2 [ Compiled: Jul 21th 2011 - build #1 ]
1:59:09 PM [main] Running as admin - good!
1:59:09 PM [main] Working with basedir: "c:\xampp\"
1:59:09 PM [main] Initializing moduls
1:59:09 PM [apache] Possible problem detected: Port 80 in use by "httpd.exe"!
1:59:09 PM [apache] Possible problem detected: Port 443 in use by "httpd.exe"!
1:59:09 PM [mysql] Possible problem detected: Port 3306 in use by "mysqld.exe"!
1:59:09 PM [main] Starting check-timer

Everything runs fine for a while then apache just lags down and i have to restart it in services. My CPU usage is running on average at 3% usage.
byf

Postby byf » 10. November 2011 21:39

Also sometimes when i restart apache in services i get the following message saying there is a script error and asks me if i want to continue running it. IN the URL area of the message it says. res://WINDOWS\system32\mmcndmgr.dll\views.htm
byf

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows