Apache and MySQL Won't Start (Win7 64) 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache and MySQL Won't Start (Win7 64) 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Postby WalterWwW » 26. October 2011 05:25

Thanks for the reply.

I did read some of that. I reinstalled to another version as I am running 64b W7.

Now im having the same problem, expect there is not check failure.

I changed the port to 8080

WalterWwW

Operating System: W7

Re: MySQL Won't Start

Postby Sharley » 26. October 2011 05:29

This is a different issue and so I am moving it here to it's own topic - you did read the How To Posts Announcement?

First please update your profile with the correct version of XAMPP you are now using so that I can correctly troubleshoot your issue.
Thanks.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby WalterWwW » 26. October 2011 05:45

Sharley wrote:This is a different issue and so I am moving it here to it's own topic - you did read the How To Posts Announcement?

First please update your profile with the correct version of XAMPP you are now using so that I can correctly troubleshoot your issue.
Thanks.

Done (1.7.7.).

Not sure what you meant by How To Posts Announcement.

Im using PostgreSQL for program called ''Holdem Maneger'', could this be the problem?
WalterWwW

Postby Sharley » 26. October 2011 05:47

WalterWwW wrote:Not sure what you meant by How To Posts Announcement
How To Post Announcement:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48331

You did uninstall the Apache and MySQL Windows services before uninstalling 1.7.4 and then deleting the xampp folder before installing 1.7.7 version?

There should be no need to change the default port Apache uses if you can locate what else is using those ports and if there is a possible port conflict with MySQL port 3306.

Apache did not start because you already have something using port 80 and port 443.

In the xampp folder there is a new Control Panel v3 - xampp-control-3-beta.exe - try using it after exiting the older 2.5 version as it has better troubleshooting features.
You can upgrade the version in 1.7.7 to the bug free 3.0.6 version (beta5) from this post:
viewtopic.php?p=186862#p186862

Click on the Netstat button and see what is using port 80, 443 and 3306 then let me know back.

Also the log window may give clues.

Read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for more clues.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby WalterWwW » 26. October 2011 06:19

Sharley wrote:How To Post
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48331

You did uninstall the Apache and MySQL Windows services before uninstalling 1.7.4 and then deleting the xampp folder before installing 1.7.7 version?

There should be no need to change the default port Apache uses if you can locate what else is using those ports.

Apache did not start because you already have something using port 80 and port 443.

In the xampp folder there is a new Control Panel v3 - xampp-control-3-beta.exe - try using it after exiting the older 2.5 version as it has better troubleshooting features.
You can upgrade the version in 1.7.7 to the bug free 3.0.6 version (beta5) from this post:
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=186862#p186862

Click on the Netstat button and see what is using port 80, 443 and 3306 then let me know back.

Also the log window may give clues.

Read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for more clues.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I posted an long reply and something happened and the tab just closed..

I already edited which ports to use, 8080 and 4499.

Skype is using those (Edit: 80 and 443) ports.

I uninstalled the 1.7.4. via Control Panel, I did nothing else.

I had forgot, when I installed XAMPP I had many errors where I could clik Abort, Retry, Ignore, so I choose'd ignore to all of them. I guess that the issue.. most of them were to be saved on to apache folder.

WalterWwW

Postby Sharley » 26. October 2011 06:33

Here is post for future reference that may help when uninstalling an XAMPP version especially if the uninstaller file gives you issues:
viewtopic.php?p=179699#p179699

Open Skype and select the Tools>Connection Options> and untick Use port 80 and port 443 then click Save and Skype will use other ports without it affecting it's operation.

It is best to have Apache using port 80/443 and MySQL using port 3306 or you could be scratching your head when things aren't working as they should.

Stop Apache and MySQL if they are running and then try and remove the Ticks in the Services module column.

Then try and start Apache and MySQL but first revert the port changes you made in the configuration files so we have a clean fresh start to work from.

I will get to your screen cap of CPv3 next when we have sorted out the ports.

You are not logged in as administrator in Win7 so you need to right click on executable files and select to run as an administrator.
Best to login to Win7 with administrator rights.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby WalterWwW » 26. October 2011 06:49

Sharley wrote:Stop Apache and MySQL if they are running and then try and remove the Ticks in the Services module column.

How do I do this?

Sharley wrote:You are not logged in as administrator in Win7 so you need to right click on executable files and select to run as an administrator.
Best to login to Win7 with administrator rights.

I am an administrator, I only got one profile on this PC.
WalterWwW

Postby Sharley » 26. October 2011 06:52

WalterWwW wrote:How do I do this?
Just click on the Green Ticks then answer the questions when the window pops up.

WalterWwW wrote:I am an administrator, I only got one profile on this PC.
Make sure you run CP3 from the xampp folder and right click and select to run as administrator.

At this early stage and because there seems to be some issues revealed in the CP3 with MySQL may I suggest that you uninstall this 1.7.7 version and follow the above link to uninstall and install the zip or 7 zip version so we have a real clean start to work with.

Is PostgreSQL for program called ''Holdem Manager'' poker tracking software using port 3306 - Netsat button in CP3 may be able to give the answer?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby WalterWwW » 26. October 2011 07:46

At this early stage and because there seems to be some issues revealed in the CP3 with MySQL may I suggest that you uninstall this 1.7.7 version and follow the above link to uninstall and install the zip or 7 zip version so we have a real clean start to work with.

Done.

I runned the CP3 as an admin.
Then this when I start Apache and MySQL

Is PostgreSQL for program called ''Holdem Manager'' poker tracking software using port 3306 - Netsat button in CP3 may be able to give the answer?

No its using different port
WalterWwW

Postby Sharley » 26. October 2011 07:56

That looks better but now we have to get rid of the green ticks.

Click on Win-Services button in the CP3 and look for Apache2.2 and click on stop if available or start if that is available.

Back to the CP3 and again try and remove the green tick.

You may be able to start Apache once that green tick is removed.

Do the same for mysql.

Let me know if you that helps. - you may have to experiment with the service settings in the Win-services window ie.start and stop to help with removing the ticks.

I did do a detailed how to on this but can't find it now as my time is always limited. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby WalterWwW » 26. October 2011 08:14

Everything works now. I can access http://localhost/xampp/splash.php

Thanks A LOT! :)
WalterWwW

Postby Sharley » 26. October 2011 08:20

Great news and thanks for the feedback. 8)

Best wishes.:)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows