fake sendmail outdated

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

fake sendmail outdated

Postby temp4746 » 22. October 2011 02:12

Why is the fake sendmail included in the XAMPP 1.7.7 package so outdated...
There is a newer version that seems to support sslv3/tls properly so it will work with gmail easily and includes other updates as well.
It is available here: http://glob.com.au/sendmail/

Also the install script for the XAMPP 1.7.7 USB LITE sets the sendmail_path in the php.ini badly.
It sets:
Code: Select all
;sendmail_path = "\"\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.exe\" -t"

Which is wrong.
it should be:
;sendmail_path = "\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.exe\ -t"
temp4746

Operating System: Windows 7, Ubuntu

Re: fake sendmail outdated

Postby Sharley » 22. October 2011 02:23

temp4746 wrote:Also the install script for the XAMPP 1.7.7 USB LITE sets the sendmail_path in the php.ini badly.
It sets:
;sendmail_path = "\"\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.exe\" -t"
That additional slash is a php thing that escapes the " character at the beginning and at the end of the path, which is correct, and will work when using sendmail - not advisable to change the php.ini settings unless you are familiar with what you are doing. :shock:

Always feel free to update sendmail at any time with the latest version, which has been recommended in these forums many times before, as a forum search before posting would have revealed.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32670
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby temp4746 » 22. October 2011 11:55

Sharley wrote:That additional slash is a php thing that escapes the " character at the beginning and at the end of the path, which is correct, and will work when using sendmail...

Always feel free to update sendmail at any time with the latest version...

Oh oops the slash is an escape character, so you include double quotes around the path, I guess that will make it work even if you install XAMPP in a path with spaces.

Yeah I know it's recommended to update fake sendmail, heck it wouldn't work without updating it with gmail, I just think that when the next XAMPP package is released it should already include an updated version.
Last edited by Sharley on 23. October 2011 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please only quote the relevant part of a post you wish to comment about.
temp4746

Operating System: Windows 7, Ubuntu

Postby JonB » 22. October 2011 19:12

I guess that will make it work even if you install XAMPP in a path with spaces.

which one should never, ever do... LOL
:lol:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby xnoddyx » 23. October 2011 15:13

temp4746 wrote:Yeah I know it's recommended to update fake sendmail, heck it wouldn't work without updating it with gmail...

works just fine for me sending with gmail i have XAMPP Version:1.7.3 and sendmail works for me.
Last edited by Sharley on 23. October 2011 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please only quote the relevant part of a post you wish to comment about.
xnoddyx

Operating System: xp pro sp3

Postby Sharley » 23. October 2011 20:33

xnoddyx wrote:works just fine for me sending with gmail i have XAMPP Version:1.7.3 and sendmail works for me
In 1.7.3 fake sendmail is not used, instead the MSMTP client is used and was the only version that used this client - the MSMTP client was renamed to sendmail for compatibility with the rest of the XAMPP components.
See the readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder.

In XAMPP it is possible to use MSMTP instead of fake sendmail or you can upgrade the included fake sendmail, the choice is open.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows