I need some advice on how to fix a problem I'm having when trying to access my local joomla website. Here's a summary of what I did and what is happening:
1. I am trying to upgrade from 1.5.15 to 1.5.23 by first doing the upgrade on my local Windows XP system.
2. The plan was to eventually upgrade all the way to Joomla 1.6 and then 1.7.
3. Upgrade information stated that I needed to update my XAMPP apps, i.e Apache and MySQL, in order to be compatible with 1.6 and 1.7
4. So I downloaded and installed XAMPP 1.7.4 using the intaller. I first deleted the C:\xampp folder.
5. I then completed a successful install of XAMPP 1.7.4 with Apache and MySQL running. All status was good.
6. Then, I proceeded with successful install of Joomla 1.5.23 and everything worked fine at this stage. I was able to login to the Joomla Admin successfully using localhost/sitename.
7. Now here is where I think I got into trouble.
8. Using a SQL backup file from my host provider, I restored the content of my existing public/production Joomla website to the Joomla 1.5.23 version of my local site.
9. I could no longer access my local site using 'localhost/sitename'. But, I could access using '127.0.0.1/sitename'. I see no errors in the Apache error.log file.
10. Something does not appear to be configured correctly. With localhost not working, it appears this is causing other issues with finding files in the c:\xampp\htdocs\sitename path.
11. My images are not being displayed and I get this error on the front end: 'Could not find folder C:\xampp\htdocs\sitename/images/stories/...'
12. Al the titles and labels in the administration pages are preceded with dots and end in dots: •Global Configuration• •Site Settings• •Metadata Settings•
13. I don't recall seeing this in joomla 1.5.15
14. I have searched the Joomla forum, Apache forum, and call Microsoft support for help with no resolve.
15. I did not alter my Windows host file.
15. When I enter 'localhost/sitename I get the following as though I did a search for localhost:
localhost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer networking, localhost (meaning this computer) is the standard hostname given to the address of the loopback network interface. The name is also a ...
127.0.0.1 - Localhost IP Address
127.0.0.1 is an reserved IPv4 address. 127.0.0.1 is a special purpose address conventionally used as a computer's loopback address.
Localhost connection issues list - IISLogs.com
Mar 17, 2007 ... There have been a variety of posts stating, I can't browse Localhost or http://127.0
.0.1 There has not been any pattern to resolve it. This post is ... www.iislogs.com/steveschofield/localhos ... tion-iss..
. www.iislogs.com/steveschofield/localhos ... ssues-list
Localhost: "Localhost" is an alias for the address 127.0.0.1, an address that always indicates the local computer. This is the address that a computer can use to ... www.sitepoint.com/glossary.php%3Fq%3DL www.sitepoint.com/glossary.php?q=L
LocalHost -- Local Host
LocalHost -- Enhance my Chances, Local Host Cheap Hosting from your Local Host, Local hosting from Enhance my Chances.
Things I have tried:
1. complete uninstall and intall of XAMPP 1.7.4 and Joomla 1.7.4 and SQL import using phpMyAdmin several times - no luck
2. uninstall and reinstall virus protection - no luck
3. uninstall and reinstall IE8 - no luck
4. port 80 is not being used by any other program.
Can someone help start a dialog with me to help resolve this localhost connection issue?