Unable to find the socket transport ssl

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Unable to find the socket transport ssl

Postby drasgan » 29. August 2011 14:28

I have recently installed XAMPP on Win7

I try to run a simple php script which sends mail using PEAR Mail.php. the SMTP host is defined as: ssl://smtp.gmail.com . This script is the second (using SSL encryption from page http://email.about.com/od/emailprogramm ... cation.htm)

I receive error:
Failed to connect to ssl://smtp/gmail.com:465 [SMTP: Failed to connect socket: Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP? (code: -1, response: )]

I have checked that libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll are on Windows PATH and are present in both xampp\php and xampp\apache\bin folders

I have no section "extension=php_openssl.dll" in my php.ini file and I've read somewhere that the new XAMPP has compiled ssl already inside, so no need to uncomment anything related to ssl in php.ini

However,there is no openssl section in my phpinfo file. There are several lines mentioning openssl, but no section.

In particular, there are:
Apache Version Apache/2.2.17 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8q PHP/5.3.4 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
OPENSSL_CONF I:/xampp/apache/bin/openssl.cnf <--- this file is missing, perhaps that's a problem?
SERVER_SIGNATURE <address>Apache/2.2.17 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8q PHP/5.3.4 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1 Server at workspace.local Port 80</address>
SERVER_SOFTWARE Apache/2.2.17 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8q PHP/5.3.4 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
OpenSSL support disabled (install ext/openssl) <--- in PHAR section

What else is there to do in order to enable SSL in XAMPP?
drasgan

Re: Unable to find the socket transport ssl

Postby JonB » 29. August 2011 17:11

Hi -

http://raibledesigns.com/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ApacheSSL

read down to #3

in your \xampp\apache\bin folder you will find openssl.exe > that's what its for - creating self-signed certificates & keys

Good luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows