How do I change localhost?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How do I change localhost?

Postby cholden » 20. August 2011 21:25

Sorry, this is really a basic question but here goes!

When I go to http:\\localhost the browser takes me to C:\www.efront\ which is an LMS that I have been using to develop courses. Now I know I must have pointed the root to that site but I can't remember what file I changed. eFront is not installed in the C:\xampp directory but I do remember changing a file to direct localhost to the local install of eFront. Taking some notes would have been a best practice, but no, so I'm stuck.

Now I need to change it to point to Joomla which is installed in C:\xampp\htdocs\joomla17. After I installed Joomla the installation app was supposed to run to set up the DB and stuff for Joomla to run. Well, that didn't happen. The folks at Joomla haven't been forcoming with a reason for that. I went into PHPadmin and created a DB but that didn't help.

How do I get my browser (IE9) to go to a Joomla site when I use the localhost address? So far, I can't even get into the sample Joomla sites, but I know they are there. I can see the samples folder.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm thinking that this bright idea I have to set up a tutoring services website may be out of my skill set:)
cholden

Re: How do I change localhost?

Postby WebWeaver64 » 21. August 2011 00:50

Not positive but you could try adding a VirtualHost in your httpd-vhosts.conf file a localhost directive back into the htdocs folder.
<VirtualHost localhost:80>
DocumentRoot "/xampp/htdocs/"
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
ErrorLog "/xampp/apache/logs/error.log"
CustomLog "/xampp/apache/logs/access.log" common
</VirtualHost>

Also make sure you have a 127.0.0.1 localhost listed in your hosts file.
WebWeaver64

Re: How do I change localhost?

Postby JonB » 21. August 2011 21:12

If you want BOTH to work, you should create two vhosts files. You will probably also need one or more hosts file entries.

see what webweaver did -
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47954

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows