Live site import (Nuke)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Live site import (Nuke)

Postby chemicalbrother » 20. August 2011 00:12

Hi Everyone,

For along time now I have been trying to have a mirror copy of my live Nuke Evolution Extreme website, on a localhost XAMMP server. The reason is so that I can test modules and blocks on the localhost without applying them to the live site before I have tested them to make sure they don`t throw up any errors.

I got stuck for a long time, nearly 4 weeks, the problem was other software on the ports being used by XAMMP. I have resolved this issue now and moved onto the next stage trying to import over my live site files to get a working copy on localhost. This is what I have done so far :

1. Through CPanel I downloaded a backup of the home folder and mysql database. These both come as zip files so I unzipped them both to reveal the files on my desktop.

2. Then I went to c:/XAMMP/htdocs/myWeb and dropped in the unzipped home files here

3. I then went to the phpmyadmin, created a new database, added a user with all privelages, then imported the sql from my live site, this created over 2000 tables and the install worked

This is the part where I get stuck when I go to http://localhost/htdocs/myWeb/index.php

I get an error saying cannot connect to mysql database. Is there a step that I have missed out ? Do I need to somehow link the sql to the web files held on the local host ?

I`ve spent hours reading up on the net, the more I read the more confused I get. Please someone help to put me out of my misery : (
chemicalbrother

Re: Live site import (Nuke)

Postby JonB » 20. August 2011 00:27

Maybe you will get lucky here...

In the event you don't, as a guy who gets paid to fix webservers and applications, I can say this:

You probably have to change the configuration files for that application. For instance, both phpMyaDmin and WordPress have configuration files that need to be edited before they will launch.

You might also have to manually edit settings in the imported files in PhpMyAdmin (that is often the case with WordPress -- which I know pretty well) things like where the application is located in the filesystem for instance. (path settings)

The best place to get that info would be on a forum aimed at that script.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Sharley » 20. August 2011 02:29

chemicalbrother wrote:when I go to http://localhost/htdocs/myWeb/index.php
This URI is incorrect.

Go to http://localhost/myWeb/index.php instead.

htdocs is the server's DocumentRoot and so does not need to be included in the URI.

http://localhost = C:\xampp\htdocs folder.
http://localhost/myWeb = C:\xampp\htdocs\myWeb folder.
(See edit below re file and folder case).

Read the C:\xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues when you get server errors.

There is also an error log file in the C:\xampp\mysql\data folder.

EDIT:
Just to add that Apache is case sensitive and my advise is to always use lower case file and folder names to help eliminate errors caused by case confusion.

So in the above scenario myWeb should be renamed to myweb if possible.
Last edited by Sharley on 20. August 2011 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby JonB » 20. August 2011 02:34

thanks for having some fresh eyes there Sharley, mine are a bit weary at the moment :shock:

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby chemicalbrother » 20. August 2011 13:37

Guys really apprecaite your advice, I will have a go at this tomorrow as I`m busy with family stuff at the moment. I do have a config file called config.php

When I open this it allows me to put information in for user / password / database etc

Do I just use the same information as contained in the mysql from my live site ? Do I have to create a user in phpmyadmin ?

Do I first create a new database, then import the mysql from my live site, then unzip the files in my localhost XAMMP folder ?

Sorry for the questions but trying to get the order for installing the live sites files
chemicalbrother

Postby JonB » 20. August 2011 16:30

Do I just use the same information as contained in the mysql from my live site ? Do I have to create a user in phpmyadmin ?

Do I first create a new database, then import the mysql from my live site, then unzip the files in my localhost XAMMP folder ?

I would say (best guess) yeppers to all
- make sure if possible to make the database names and users consistent.
- there may be some differences in the paths

That's about what would be done for WordPress or SMF, so I think you are on track.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows