Uninstall Issues

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Uninstall Issues

Postby Missingalgola » 18. August 2011 21:10

Hi everyone
I have a problem caused by the uninstaller of xampp.
I wanted to upgrade my xampp installation. FIrst I used the xampp uninstaller, leaving intact the htdocs and db folders, but the uninstaller next action was to delete all files in the xampp directory. I accepted the option to delete files in the xampp because I thought it only erase the files from the installation xampp, respecting the directories that I had in xampp folder. When I realized, the uninstaller had removed all the folders and files that I have in the xampp folder, except one directory, because the uninstaller could not access this folder because I had opened some files I was editing with Dreamweaver. At this point, the uninstaller ended with a warning that said the uninstallation could not be completed.
I tried to recover files with various file recovery programs, without success, because they find nothing. I looked in xampp folder, and I found a new directory called unist.temp into this directory, another directory called data, and into data folder, something similar to folder structure of all directories removed by the xampp uninstaller and also ib_logfile0, ib_logfile1 , ibdata1, mysql.err files and into each directory, files with extension. frm,. MYD and. MYI and db.opt file, looks like a copy of the database of each directory, because each folder, have one installation of a site by using the apache aliases.
How I can recover all files contained the xampp directory.
Thank you by your help.
Missingalgola

Re: Uninstall Issues

Postby Missingalgola » 19. August 2011 19:50

Hi!.
Exist some method to recover files and folders deleted from xampp folder, by xampp_uninstall.bat and xampp_uninstall.vbs (V.1.0 by Carsten Wiedmann) uninstaller in windows Vista?.
I have tried several file recovery programs, but none has found any trace of what was deleted.
Thanks by your support.
Missingalgola

Postby JonB » 19. August 2011 20:14

Have you tried a 'disk' recovery program like Handy Recovery?

http://www.handyrecovery.com/

I have had good luck with it. If the drive hasn't been actually scrubbed, it will likely find your files.

I own a copy, so I haven't used their trial in a long time. But you used to be able to run the trial, and then buy the program if you knew it had found your files. (the trial just wouldn't restore except one file at a time as I recall) BUT - if you got your 1 or 2 files back, you knew it was going to work.. That's how I got the program

I can't say to people enough times, use a backup program! Fbackup for windows is 100% free. Its not an incremental backup, so there's only the last backup you made - BUT - its free, reliable and you can schedule the backups,

Good Luck
8)

ydf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Missingalgola » 21. August 2011 19:06

Hi!
Yes I try, but the program, only find two files of more than 15000 files deleted, even using special scan.
Thank you.
Missingalgola

Postby JonB » 21. August 2011 20:26

Sorry it did not work out for you :(

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows