New Virtual Host and Mercury Mail

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

New Virtual Host and Mercury Mail

Postby Vansers » 14. August 2011 16:21

Hey Guys,

I have added Virtual Host and everything is working. Now I have one question. Will I able to use this virtual host url "localhoster.org" into Mercury mail?

How I can do that, and add email accounts to the virtual host url.

Thanks!
Vansers

Operating System: Windows 8 - 64bit

Re: New Virtual Host and Mercury Mail

Postby JonB » 14. August 2011 17:20

A. You will have to make one or more hosts file entries.

B. I personally recommend you not use Mercury Mail, as it is buggy and poorly maintained. Google Pegasus and/or Mercury Mail.

I recommend installing hMail Server for Windows. hMail is also free, has great support, and 'almost' needs no instructions.

http://www.hmailserver.com/index.php?page=welcome

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Vansers » 15. August 2011 01:17

Thank you for the suggestion. :)

I'll look into that, but however with A. that I will have to make one or more host file entries.

I don't understand what for. Sorry.

Thanks Again! :D
Vansers

Operating System: Windows 8 - 64bit

Postby JonB » 15. August 2011 16:23

Mailservers can only work with REAL DNS entries (since you have named a host presumably).

"localhoster.org" is presumably a fictitious domain. So unless you actually have registered 'localhoster.org', and have control of its Nameservers, you won't be able to 'point to' its IP for where to pick up and send mail - that's what a mailserver has to do.

By adding an entry to your Hosts file, you can supply the hostname and IP

for instance

mail.localhoster.org 127.0.0.1
smtp.localhoster.org 127.0.0.1

The first presumably would be the first of the 'Mx' records in 'real domain' localhoster.org, if such a thing existed.

Mailservers work much like webservers in this sense, you can configure them to send and receive mail from multiple domains on the same IP, so effectively -- each mailserver instance (host) works just like a NameVirtualHost vhost setup, it has to discriminate WHICH domain you want to configure/talk to/query etc.

IF you only wish to "send mail" from a web application (such as a PHP script, a blog, forum or what have you, or just to use PHP or Perl mail functions - you ONLY need Sendmail. see this - (I have a remote down router I need to fix -- I'll post a complete link later) There's a fairly complete 'how-to' for XAMPP sendmail for Windows.

this is the Google cached copy -
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... us&strip=1

Good Luck
8)

yrasf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows