xampp 1.7.4 installation passwords? (XP) 1.7.4 [SOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp 1.7.4 installation passwords? (XP) 1.7.4 [SOLVED]

Postby chem79 » 12. August 2011 04:52

In preparation of my upcoming class in PhP, I was installing xampp 1.7.4 in an older laptop (running XP) and all was going well. The welcome page came up fine, then I went into the 'security' tab. I was baffled when the screen was asking me for the current password in the MySQL section? but I must have done something terribly wrong because now when I type http://localhost in the browser I get a 401 error and Authentication required. So I am stuck. Should I uninstall it all? and then start again? but where is the password?
Many thanks.
Vil
chem79

Re: xampp 1.7.4 installation passwords?

Postby Sharley » 12. August 2011 04:57

See if there is .htaccess file in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp folder and if you find one then delete it.

Also look in C:\xampp\security for a .htpasswd file and delete then the htdocs and delete any .htaccess files you find.

Restart Apache and MySQL and you should be able to proceed without needing a password.

Reinstalling incorrectly can cause more issues to surface.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby chem79 » 12. August 2011 05:35

Thank you Sharley, you are awesome! :!: so now I can continue. Vil.
chem79

Postby Sharley » 12. August 2011 06:08

Your most welcome, Vil.

You should now be able to enjoy what XAMPP has to offer and may I recommend you download and extract the xampp_control.exe to your C:\xampp folder which is the latest and greatest XAMPP Control Panel with many advanced features, the download link is in my Signature and the related topic can be found here for reading all about it:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46743

If you are asked to overwrite anything when extracting the exe file simply say no.

Double click on the xampp_control3.exe file after exiting the original CP and take it for a spin and enjoy - you could also create a shortcut for it on your desktop for example for a handy location.

There is a push to have it included in the next stable release of XAMPP.

Good luck and best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows