services wont start, trying to test email

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

services wont start, trying to test email

Postby TJHuntington » 07. August 2011 18:16

Hi,

I'm new to the xamapp server and am having difficulties. Please could someone help.

I cant get the services for apache or mysql to start within the xampp application. I have been able to start them using the windows services utility. therefore i would like to fix this problem but it is not currently stopping we from testing my website.

the second issue is that i am trying to identify the best way to test the mail php command/function on the test server(localhost). i've tried adjusting the php configuration settings to use gmail or my isp (O2) but dont think that route will work due to closed systems and no where to put a username and password in the configuration settings. Therefore I am thinking I will need to install a simple mail server on my desktop. It looks like the mail program that comes with xamapp is not a mail server. I need to know what i have to do in order to make a mail server work with xamapp and a good and simple mail server to use.

the third issue is that i would like to be able to simply upload a website from the test server to the remote server and have it work straight away. I think this is the whole point of a test server but I cant seem to be able to use a relative path in my php code below(header routine):

<?php
$name = $_REQUEST['name'] ;
$email = $_REQUEST['email'] ;
$message = $_REQUEST['message'] ;

mail( "TJHuntington@gmail.com", "Feedback Form Results",
$message, "From: $email" );
header( "Location: http://localhost/mywebsite/thankyou.html" );

Any help greatly appreciated,

Tim H
?>
TJHuntington

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Re: services wont start, trying to test email

Postby JonB » 07. August 2011 23:21

Tim

PLEASE - post one problem per thread. This makes it possible for those using the Forum Search to zero in on answers that are relevant to their problem. You can open as many threads/topics as you need, just try to stay on-topic. I'll deal with the Mail issue for you -

XAMPP comes with an MTA (Mail Transfer Agent0 called Sendmail. Its a Windows knockoff on the *nix utility. Its found in \xampp\sendmail.
It comes with a sample .ini file with examples for several ISP/Hosting connection types. You will also need a change to php.ini:

[mail_function]
sendmail_path = "\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.exe -t"

For more help. you can simply search this forum, there are dozens of threads about using sendmail.

(I see I need to write an FAQ on this)
http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/word ... or-windows

Note: 'Sendmail' means what it says. You ONLY really need a mailserver if you need to actually pickup/receive mail from other sources. Getting a mailserver working and securing it is as much work as getting Apache running 'publicly' and securing it requires even more effort. If do you go that route, Mercury is a poor choice, hMail is easier to configure, less bug-prone, and extremely reliable. And they have an excellent support forum. I run hMail on two production servers and it has never given me a second's problem.

http://www.hmailserver.com/index.php?page=welcome

Good Luck
8)

ysf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Re: services wont start, trying to test email

Postby TJHuntington » 12. August 2011 21:26

thank for the help. i am using your advice to try and get things working as time allows. thanks again, your advice is appreciated.

Tim
TJHuntington

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Return to XAMPP for Windows