sharing xampp server across network

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

sharing xampp server across network

Postby jesseislil » 29. July 2011 22:50

I have successfully installed xampp and have been using it to develop wordpress themes locally on my desktop computer.

How do I setup xampp server so that I can access it from different computers on the same network?

I want to access the server from two separate laptops so I don't have to sit at my desktop all day to work on these themes! I've installed xampp on every computer to work on the same project. There must be a better way. Thanks.
jesseislil

Re: sharing xampp server across network

Postby JonB » 30. July 2011 22:51

Hello -

I've installed xampp on every computer to work on the same project. There must be a better way. Thanks.

You only need one XAMPP server on your local network.

In theory, you should be able to access that XAMPP server by pointing a browser on one of your other network machines to the local IP Address of the machine with XAMPP installed.

I.e if XAMPP was installed on 192.168.1.22...

you would enter http://192.168.1.22 in the browser address bar on one of your laptops.

There's a couple of exceptions to this:
If you gave your server a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) in the httpd.conf file
If you set up any vhosts
If you have certain firewall settings on your local network

XAMMP's basic security is set up so that connections from the common non-routable 'local' machine IP's is permitted (machines on your home network).

If you have not done this - one other important thing is probably to set the XAMPP server to a fixed IP address, either in the Windows network settings or in your router's DHCP settings. This way the XAMPP server will always be on the same IP and can be saved as a bookmark/favorite.

If you have all IPv6 you might need a fix to that; such as enabling IPv4 (I doubt this would be the case)

Give it a try - should work right out of the box

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows