'variant' class - disable this?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

'variant' class - disable this?

Postby Lilt » 04. July 2011 10:25

Hi There,

I recently installed Xampp and have been using it to work on and test an application that is currently in use on a live system. I recently got to working on another aspect of the system, and found that I'm having issues with one of my classes. The class's name is Variant, which seems to be clashing with the VARIANT class from the PHP Windows COM extension. I desparately need to disable this somehow, but as far as I can tell it is compiled into PHP (I've disabled every extension in php.ini and "variant" is still listed when I run the following script:
Code: Select all
print_r(get_declared_classes());
So... Any ideas for how I can disable this? Is there any way to do it without recompiling from scratch?

[edit]I've tried adding variant to the disable_classes list in php.ini... This didn't work either[/edit]

Thanks in advance.
Lilt

Re: 'variant' class - disable this?

Postby JonB » 04. July 2011 12:58

My knowledge of PHP is not deep enough to tackle your main question, but I can set your perspectives on this part:

Is there any way to do it without recompiling from scratch?

I have never tackled the specifics of 'Good Luck re-compiling PHP on XAMPP'.
But you might look at these pages:
http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/word ... -i-do-that

Basic Answer - you will need Visual Studio 6 C Compiler, a lot of knowledge, the annotated source, persistence and a bit of luck. BigWetDog might have more insight than I on this. :shock:

Out of curiosity, why don't you set up a test environment that more closely mirrors the production environment? (as presumably the code runs correctly there)

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Lilt » 04. July 2011 13:42

Hi JonB.

We do have a test environment running on a Linux server in the office, but to take full advantage of NetBeans' testing capabilities (PHP Debug and so on) I think I need a local copy of PHP. I'm happy to work on a Linux environment, but I need to use Adobe Fireworks to slice-up the design documents (which I get as Fireworks PNGs, with frames and layers that no other program understands).

Netbeans does have code re-factoring capabilities, which I'm tempted to use anyway, but I thought I'd ask here before biting the bullet, refactoring, and sucking-up the testing time to make sure everything is still working.
Lilt

Postby BigWetDog » 04. July 2011 16:06

you say you tried: disable_classes "variant"
Just thinkin' out loud here, but how about diable_classes "VARIANT"?
BigWetDog

Return to XAMPP for Windows