INSTALLING XAMPP FOR WINDOWS

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

INSTALLING XAMPP FOR WINDOWS

Postby BenCobbina » 02. July 2011 15:42

Helloh everyone,

I am trying to set up Xampp on Windows in order to install Joomla. However I have not been successful as I keep getting the following error messages after each attempt:

"Installation Complete. set up was completed successfully.

Ports 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use!

Installing Apache 2.2 service failed".

When I checked the XAMPP Control Panel the following message is displayed:
"ERROR: Status Check Failure [3]"

What am I doing wrong?

I need help please.

Thank you.
BenCobbina

Re: INSTALLING XAMPP FOR WINDOWS

Postby Sharley » 03. July 2011 01:15

Hello Ben.
Yes, these issues are well documented both in these forums and out in the big world wide web but following is some relevant content that has been posted before in this forum that may help with a solution.

BenCobbina wrote:When I checked the XAMPP Control Panel the following message is displayed:
"ERROR: Status Check Failure [3]"
Often the installer version of XAMPP 1.7.4 fails to do it's job properly for various reasons and has been posted about many times before.

My suggestion is that you try uninstalling the installer version of 1.7.4 then download and unpack the ZIP version using these simple instructions here:
viewtopic.php?p=179699#p179699
Make sure you follow the uninstall procedure fully or you may continue to have installation issues.

I also recommend you download and use the latest XAMPP Control Panel V3 to be found here...
http://arloh.de/xampp/xampp_control3.0.2.zip
...which should always have the latest build, but keep an eye on the below topic for any future development issues until it possibly becomes an included XAMPP component.
Topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46743

Coupled with the above ZIP installation method and the use of the newer XCP it should now allow you to move forward without any problems and the Status Check error message should be gone.

Also, unless you specifically require XAMPP components to always start at boot then I suggest you do not tick any of the Svc (Service) check boxes - most people use XAMPP for development not for production so this feature is best left unchecked which allows you to start the components whenever you need them thus conserving some system resources.

BenCobbina wrote:Ports 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use!
If this is not corrected by following the above alternate install method and the use of the new version 3 Control Panel then you need to find what is using those ports.

Download and extract to suitable location ( a folder on your desktop perhaps) this little no install free app CurrPorts from here:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

Check what is using 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 port 80 and port 443 and then try and kill the process. Now try and start Apache and MySQL again.

If they start then you should try and prevent what ever was using port 80 and port 443 from using those ports by disabling the offender which is usually either Skype or IIS (World Wide Publishing, inetsvr or any similar name that the default Windows web server uses).
This topic has another name associated with IIS 9Web Deployment Agent Service (MsDepSvc) service) that came to light in the last reply:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46841

BTW it is not enough to simply stop a service using port 80 and 443 but rather the service must be disabled completely or it will simply start up again and hog the ports once again after a reboot.

Once all the above has been instigated and Apache and MySQL start with no issues using the new Control Panel after a reboot, then you should be able to move forward and enjoy your XAMPP and Joomla experience.

Good luck.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby BenCobbina » 10. July 2011 16:59

Dear Ms Sharley,
I have followed your instructions as per your earlier mail and I have managed to install both XAMPP 1.7.4 and corresponding Control Panel 3.0.2 on my exchangeable 'E'.
This is the following messages I am getting on Control Panel 3.0.2
'Working with basedir: " e:\"
Possible problem detected: file e:\apache\bin\httppd.exe" not found - run this program from your XAMPP root directory
Possible problem detected: Port 80 in use by "system"
Possible problem detected: "file e:\mysql\bin\mysql.exe" not found - run this program from your root directory
Possible problem detected: Port 3306 in use by "mysqld.exe"!

The same error messages appear for files "FilezellaFTP", "MercuryMail", and "Tomcat"

I am also unable to install Joomla in 'htdocs' of XAMPP directory.

Please HELP!!!

Ben.
BenCobbina

Postby Sharley » 11. July 2011 01:37

Open the XAMPP Control Panel and make sure there are no bold ticks in any of the check service boxes and then make sure you have Stopped all the components.

Next add xampp to the E:\ drive so you have a folder E:\xampp
Now move all the files and folders that you extracted from the XAMPP archive from the E:\ location into the E:\xampp folder you just created.

Next you will have to run (double click on) the E:\xampp\setup_xampp.bat file so the new paths will be created for you in all the configuration files.

Now you can start once again the XAMPP Control Panel and all the errors should be gone and if all ports are free (see below) you should be able to start Apache and MySQL and move forward.

Make sure you don't have anything else running on port 80, port 443 and port 3306 by using the port check app CurrPorts I gave a link to in my first reply.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby BenCobbina » 16. July 2011 16:44

Sharley,

I have followed all your recent instructions and the following are the results that I have come out with:

1) When I opened the Xampp Control Panel I the system would not allow me to untick the 'Apache' and 'MySql' service boxes
2) I was able to move all extracted files and folders into 'Xampp' folder in the 'E' drive.
3) When I tried to run (i.e. double click) 'Setup_xampp.bat' file, the message "Sorry, but.....nothing to do; Press any key to continue.." was displayed
4) I rebooted the system and tried to 'Open Xampp Control Panel' and the message "Unable to open logs" was displayed.
5) when I tried again to open the Control Panel the 'Apache' service was still ticked but not running (i.e. status was 'START'). MySql service was ticked but the status was 'Running'.
6) The following message was displayed by the Control Panel:
"[tomcat] possible problem detected: file "e\tomcat\bin\tomcat6.exe/e:\tomcat7.exe" not found - run the program from your xampp root directory.

What do I do next?

Ben.
BenCobbina

Postby Sharley » 17. July 2011 02:20

You should right click on the XAMPP Control Panel and select to run as an administrator and then try and remove the ticks, usually you will have to Stop Apache and MySQL first.

If that still fails then download the new version 3 Control Panel and use it instead and then try again.
http://arloh.de/xampp/xampp_control3.0.2.zip
Extract the exe file only to your xampp installation folder and again right click on it and select to run as an administrator - you will like this new version. :)

You can also click on the button SCM or Win Services in the new XCP and look for and Stop any services for mysql and Apache2.2
You should then see that Apache and MySQL have Stopped (no green running indication) and it should now be possible to remove the ticks from the Svc (Service) check boxes.

Finally if you follow these instruction to uninstall and then install again using the ZIP file method you may be able to move forward - and next time do not tick the services boxes unless you really need to start Apache and MySQL every time you start your PC.
viewtopic.php?p=179699#p179699
Try and follow them explicitly as every stage is important.

BTW, what did you see in Curr Ports that was using port 80, 443 and 3306?

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows