my.cnf cant find on PC

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

my.cnf cant find on PC

Postby parishkj » 09. June 2011 09:56

mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file

Is the problem I am trying to solve. Suggestion is to make changes to the my.cnf file which I cannot find on my PC using search facility or navigating to specific directories.

Using Vista changed programme defaults to open .cnf files in notebook. Error message is from Dreamweaver CS4

Looked in mysql/bin/

I am a novice so would appreciate any help in as simple terms as possible to sort out missung file and more importantly to solve initial problem

Thanks

ken
parishkj

Re: my.cnf cant find on PC

Postby deck2deck » 09. June 2011 17:35

You just need to edit your MySQL configuration file and remove the line that starts with "old_passwords". Usually the file is /etc/my.cnf or /etc/mysql/my.cnf.
deck2deck

Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2, 6.1

Postby JonB » 09. June 2011 17:36

Hi Ken -

XAMMP uses a different file name convention for the MySQL configuration file.

Its 'XAMMP\mysql\bin\my.ini'

it has the same parameters as a my.cnf file would.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby JonB » 09. June 2011 17:40

deck2deck wrote:You just need to edit your MySQL configuration file and remove the line that starts with "old_passwords". Usually the file is /etc/my.cnf or /etc/mysql/my.cnf.

deck2deck - those file locations are true on machines that run on a *nix stack, not on Windows machines running MySQL.

:D
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows