I've been trying to get the apache server to work for 2 days now. have read a lot of discussion threads and have tried a lot of things I've seen written and still don't get anywhere.
I've installed the xampp package and have no problem with the sql server.
What I've done so far:
1. I've unchecked the ports 80/443 bit in skype.
2. I've changed C:\xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf to look for a different port than 80 (in both places it's mentioned in that file) - in this case to look for port 88.
2a. When i changed the port in httpd.conf, then I got a different message in the xampp control panel (see attached image), although I still get the busy ports 80/443 message on install.
3. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times (using the windows add or remove programs) so to my knowledge I'm removing all of the xampp package.
4. Have looked for a IIS service so I can disable it, but haven't found one in my list of services.
5. I do run Norton, and see that that can sometimes cause a problem. But can't see how to change its ports.
6. I've installed TCPview to try and see what else uses port 80. Is it the remote port that is important? If so then ccsvhost (to do with norton) seems to be, firefox has one process using port 80. However, why is port 80 still important if I've changed it to 88?
HOpefully that all makes sense!
Is there anything else I should do? Getting quite frustrated now, and hope someone can help!