HELP! I installed XAMPP on a 64 bit Vista system

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

HELP! I installed XAMPP on a 64 bit Vista system

Postby somnamblst » 28. May 2011 05:56

I have a 64 bit Vista desktop that I do all my development on. Following the instructions on an Adobe tute for using Dreamweaver 5's WordPress capability I installed XAMPP in C:\xampp

My computer has lots of 32 bit programs, but they are in program files (x86)

The 1.7.4 readme says

64 MB RAM (RECOMMENDED)
+ 350 MB free fixed disk
+ Windows NT, 2000, 2003, XP (RECOMMENDED), VISTA
+ Only 32 Bit (NOT for 64 bit systems)

I did not disable UAC before I installed it and I proceeded with all the setup of a PHP development environment, and installed WordPress, not noticing that I had an error that googling has seems to be associated with a 64 bit system

I have since disabled UAC & rebooted but XAMPP control panel still says XAMPP Component Status Check failure, Current directory c:\xampp, run this program only from your XAMPP root directory

The readme says no 64 bit. Should I uninstall everything & start over, hoping that disabling UAC before installing XAMPP is the fix, or switch to a 32 bit laptop, which I really hate to do, I work on a desktop & only goof off on a laptop, though I could hook up a keyboard & monitor and be almost as comfortable
somnamblst

Re: HELP! I installed XAMPP on a 64 bit Vista system

Postby Sharley » 28. May 2011 08:22

A forum search for your XCP error message in this XAMPP for Windows forum would have found this post with multiple choices of solutions:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44320
But a quick look at the first page of previous topics would also have given the above linked topic only about 6 or 7 posts below this topic.

Thousands of people have successfully installed XAMPP on a 64bit Windows but do not install XAMPP in a folder with spaces and special characters as Apache may come back and bite you. :)

BTW the first thing you do after installing XAMPP is test that it is working by typing in your browser's address bar http://localhost/ then after selecting your language you exercise all the demos found in the left side menu - this page is often referred to as the XAMPP Welcome page and the XAMPP Administration page - you then can install your third party scripts knowing that your XAMPP installation is working fully.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby somnamblst » 28. May 2011 12:41

Thanks

I did find that error message, and I am still confused as to what is the solution

Should I uninstall everything & start over, now that I have turned off User Access Control in Vista?

Or do I need to install a previous version

It was late when I installed and I did some of the testing for local host, but obviously missed some things on a very long page of directions that had Mac setup info mixed in, and then proceeded with the rest of the Dreamweaver/WordPress setup, the next evening

I installed in root of C with no spaces are special characters, I guess you mean it is impossible to install in Program Files (x86)

I have never used Skype on this PC, but I do have Google Talk installed

My apache error log says

[Thu May 26 21:25:50 2011] [notice] Child 4920: Starting thread to listen on port 443.
[Thu May 26 21:25:50 2011] [notice] Child 4920: Starting thread to listen on port 80.

and the last entry is

Sat May 28 00:13:12 2011] [notice] Child 3032: Starting thread to listen on port 443.
[Sat May 28 00:13:12 2011] [notice] Child 3032: Starting thread to listen on port 80.
somnamblst

Postby somnamblst » 30. May 2011 16:15

The solution is to install the previous version 1.7.3, rather than 1.7.4.

XAMPP 1.7.3 Available here

http://www.oldapps.com/xampp.php?old_xampp=46#sysreq

* Windows 2000
* Windows XP Professional
* Windows 7 (Recommended)
* 64 MB RAM (recommended)
* 64-bit versions of Windows systems are also supported

I want to add that I had disabled User Access Control prior, in case that is part of the success story puzzle
somnamblst

Return to XAMPP for Windows