Configuring portable XAMPP Lite with removing of MYSQL and o

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Configuring portable XAMPP Lite with removing of MYSQL and o

Postby wemersonrv » 27. May 2011 13:42

Hello,

Can i build a portable version of XAMPP Lite that contains ONLY the APACHE and PHP, and no more?

I like to keep the folders/files that are really needed, and delete ALL the rest.

Thanks
wemersonrv

Re: Configuring portable XAMPP Lite with removing of MYSQL a

Postby wemersonrv » 30. May 2011 13:48

I forgot to tell...

I'm using XAMPP-Lite 1.7.3 because it does not have a 1.7.4 version of XAMPP-Lite available.
wemersonrv

Re: Configuring portable XAMPP Lite with removing of MYSQL a

Postby Sharley » 31. May 2011 03:02

wemersonrv wrote:Can i build a portable version of XAMPP Lite that contains ONLY the APACHE and PHP, and no more?

I like to keep the folders/files that are really needed, and delete ALL the rest.
Make sure that ALL the components are stopped and there are no ticks in the Svc check boxes in the Control Panel - double check this as it is important that nothing is still running.

Next EXIT the Control Panel.

Now drag and drop the xampplite folder to another location which will create a Copy of xampplite folder with your known working version that you can always rely on to replace a file or folder that was deleted by the method below but was really needed.

Now you can experiment with deleting the files and folders you no longer require and then trying to Start Apache after each delete to make sure that it will continue to function correctly - you should obviously retain the Apache and the PHP folders also I suspect that you would retain the htdocs and the install folder as well as the security folder but experimenting will be the best way to achieve your goal and using your backup copy created above you can easily replace a file and folder that was really needed.

Remember to make an XAMPP installation portable you should not run the setup_xampp.bat file which will create paths with drive letters and will render the installation not portable.

The alternative is to download both stand alone versions of Apache and PHP and try and configure them to work together with help form you Internet search engine of choice - either way it will take time and some messing about. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows