XAMPP CONTROL PANEL Version 3 Problems

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: *** New XAMPP CONTROL PANEL Version 3 ***

Postby rhapdog » 28. July 2011 22:08

Steffan,

Thanks for a great utility.

I have a couple of suggestions, if you don't mind. You can run multiple instances of this program. You should probably do a check and limit the number of instances to 1.

I would also like to see at least one command line switch be implemented, "-stop", so that the services can be stopped by command line. I would like to see a switch that can stop the services and exit the program from the command line. Since I use it in a portable environment, and carry xampp between machines on a USB drive, it would be beneficial to have this, as I have software that will "launch" a program when I exit my portable start menu. That way I can tell it to shut down xampp when I am ready to "eject" my drive, without having to manually shut down multiple programs. (The menu will already shut down everything else that autostarts, except this, because it needs a command line switch to do it.)

If you have trouble with it, I'd be happy to help, since I also use Delphi (2010). The Jedi VCL has a component that will force only one instance, and pass the parameters to the first, which is easy to use. Free for everyone.
rhapdog

Postby Sharley » 30. July 2011 07:12

Hello Stephen,

People who are downloading and extracting the contents of the ZIP archive will be asked if they want to overwrite the existing src folder in the xampp installation folder.

This is not desirable and may lead to confusion and a deleted/replaced folder's contents that they perhaps did not want to knowingly happen.

You could eliminate this minor hassle by renaming your src folder to something more appropriate with a name that will definitely be instantly recognizable and that will not require a possible fatal overwrite decision.
For example src-xcp3.

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby le_top » 06. August 2011 20:24

Hi
Following a 25% CPU usage of 'Version 2', another member pointed me to 'Version 3' - however things got worse and CPU usage went up to 45%.
I posted the info in http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47810.
le_top

Postby hackattack142 » 07. August 2011 01:56

If I haven't said already, I think you did a great job with this recode.

The point I was trying to get at with the suggestions was if you do a precheck, you could take note of all running java processes, start the tomcat java process, then exclude the PIDs of the java processes you saw previously if any. This would still be susceptible to race conditions but it is an idea. It is not a big deal if you implement it or not, I just wanted to make sure I was getting my point across.

I also did notice one small nitpicky thing. You misspelled “modules” in your status window on the “Initializing modules” and “Deinitializing modules” messages.

I have been recommending the developers consider adding this each time I submit beta feedback so I hope it eventually makes it.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby chitrang » 14. August 2011 06:58

Thank You Sharley for sharing the information about New Xampp Control Panel Version 3.....
It works fine and solves the issues with 1.7.4 installation....

Regards
Chitrang Shah
chitrang

Postby JonB » 30. August 2011 17:17

Hi Steffen

Thanks again on the Control Panel -

Here's one I debugged where Apache will run form the Command Line, but won't start with Control Panel 3. Did I miss something or has he a bug???

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47975&start=15

Thanks

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Jubic » 01. September 2011 07:12

Is the site down or something?
Jubic

Postby JonB » 01. September 2011 14:30

what 'site'????

If you are referring to the zip DL of the Control Panel - its working at this time. :)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby hackattack142 » 07. September 2011 18:19

Congrats, CPv3 was included in the latest beta.
hackattack142

Postby kvo » 09. September 2011 11:11

Hallo Steffen!

Wir möchten gerne dein Control Panel (latest also 3.0.2, oder?) entweder schon in der nächsten 1.7.5 XAMPP Version oder in der nächsten 1.7.6 Version als Standard Panel verwenden. Ein kleines Problem gibt es noch mit der Filezilla Service Installation über das Control Panel. Besser gesagt die Deinstallation des Filezilla Service über das neue CP funktioniert nicht richtig.

Gibt es vielleicht bereits eine neuere Version als die Version 3.0.2?

Danke!
kvo
Apache Friends

Postby Sharley » 10. September 2011 03:41

I reported the above post to the forum officials for posting in the wrong language, here is a copy of my report:
forum report wrote:This post, in the German language, is against forum rules in this English only forum.

Coming from KVO, who is someone who should know better, sets a bad example for other posters to follow.

Please pass this on to Kay and have him translate it or move it to the corresponding German language forum topic
(yes there is a CPv3 topic in the German language forums).

Why does KVO, the XAMPP for Windows developer, not contact Steffen directly rather than post in the wrong language in this forum????
Thanks.
I feel that reporting this post will be ignored by the forum staff responsible, just like this bad language post was ignored, which has been allowed to remain as a shinning example for others to follow who would like to abuse helpful forum support valunteers:
viewtopic.php?p=183651#p183651

For those who may be interested in what the XAMPP for Windows developer had to say above, then here it is, roughly translated but hopefully understandable for non German speaking readers:
KVO wrote:Hi Steffen!

We would like your Control Panel (is 3.0.2 the latest version?) to be either included in the next XAMPP version 1.7.5 or 1.7.6 as the default panel.

However there is a small problem with the Filezilla service installation through the Control Panel.
Uninstalling of the service via the new CP Filezilla does not work properly.

Is there perhaps a newer version than the version 3.0.2?

Thank you!
One of those "does not work properly" type posts with absolutely no detail to work with, yet another poor example coming from someone who should know better.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby hackattack142 » 10. September 2011 05:55

I played with it and looked at the code to see if I could find anything wrong with it but it works correctly for me on Win 7 x64 with UAC disabled. The only strange behavior I noticed was when installing the service but it is a problem with Filezilla not the CP. The strange behavior I saw was after checking the install service button, choosing 'yes' for install service, choosing 'yes' to install service again, choosing 'no' to autostart, and choosing 'no' to start the server. After I choose the last 'no', it asks me if I want to uninstall the service which seems like strange behavior to me but, like i said, it is Filezilla not the CP.

I do have a few suggestions though that might fix/mitigate issues.

1. Use the FileZilla command line switch to install the service to avoid the extra dialog boxes by executing "xampp\FileZillaFTP\FileZillaServer.exe /install"

2. Use the FileZilla command line switch to uninstall the service so you are not relying on the "sc.exe" utility by executing: "xampp\FileZillaFTP\FileZillaServer.exe /uninstall"

3. Is it possible to not display an error message for running programs if they are inside the XAMPP folder? For example, if I start Apache from the control panel, close the control panel, and reopen the control panel, there will be an error in the log for programs using port 80 and 430. Would it be possible to detect if the running instance is a XAMPP instance and just display a message that it is already running instead of an error message?

4. During the MySQL service install, you add an extra slash to the --defaults-file switch right after "+BaseDir+"on line 101 of uMySQL.pas

5. The ability to specify which ports to check when doing the status check would be a nice feature. Sometimes the default ports are changed for various reasons and this would alleviate some confusion.

6. The ability to specify the names of the services would be another nice feature. This would allow multiple versions of XAMPP with services to co-exist on a machine with less hassle.

7. A XAMPP lite version of the new CPv3 would be nice as well (removed FTP, Mail, and Tomcat) and should be fairly easy to do.

8. Possible bug: I get an "service was not uninstalled" red message in the CP log after uninstalling the MySQL service even though the service is uninstalled successfully (gone from services list). This does not happen with Apache or FileZilla service uninstallation.

9. Very minor but I did notice you misspelled "module" in multiple code files in your CP Log statements (you cut off the 'e'). So far I have noticed it in "uMain.pas" and "uFileZilla.pas" but I have not looked at the other code files much yet.

Thanks for the improved CP.

*Edit: Updated suggestions/fixes/problems
*Edit2: Additional suggestions added
Last edited by hackattack142 on 27. September 2011 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
hackattack142

Postby kvo » 12. September 2011 15:22

Sorry! We use the english language here. I forgot.

Some infos from the coming release 1.7.5:
1) We will use the old CP2 as default.
2) We will give the CP3 as extra beta panel.

For the xampp version 1.7.6 (next year i thing) is planned:
1) We use CP3 as default. So we have more time for development and a longer beta phase for bug fixing.
2) Mercury Mailserver will replaced with "xampp mail", a (compiled) python based socket server for publish to disk or a mail redirection to an own mail address. The program is finished allready, but we still have to build the win32 service stack.
3) Perhaps another installer as the nullsoft installer. We will evaluate this.

I hope this is okay!
kvo
Apache Friends

Postby Sharley » 13. September 2011 02:06

kvo wrote:Sorry! We use the english language here. I forgot.
Kay, thanks for coming back, much appreciated when things that were wrong are put right in the end. :)

Also thanks for keeping us informed about what to expect from XAMPP for Windows in the future.

Perhaps this type of information warrants either it's own topic or a dedicated page on your web site - what do you think, Kay?

BTW where has Steffen gone?
He usually responds fairly quickly to posts in this topic, perhaps he has taken a summer break or what?. ;)

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby Radostus » 02. October 2011 14:03

Yes it is due to OS, this new Version of XCP is for Windows not for Linux.
Lebe lange und möge es Dir gut ergehen
(Live long and prosper)

Radostus von Bokelhausen
Radostus

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for Windows