XAMPP CONTROL PANEL Version 3 Problems

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: *** New XAMPP CONTROL PANEL Version 3 ***

Postby hackattack142 » 03. October 2011 05:17

FYI: I had a brief chat with the CPv3 developer a while back and it sounds like he is probably done working on this. If anyone knows Delphi and wants to make further improvements, the source is included with the download and with the new XAMPP.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby mickgriddle » 04. October 2011 03:07

These updates seem really helpful, thanks a lot!
mickgriddle

Postby kileab » 10. October 2011 17:42

The source file is AWESOME!! We should be able to make some good customizations to our personal needs. Thanks for the heads up hackattack142.
kileab

Postby Sonia'shope » 16. October 2011 22:44

Thanks Sharley, this is just the help I have been needing. I have the 1.7 version of XAMPP and will go to the German version of the forum and download the English version and follow the directions as you suggested.
Thanks again,
Sonia'shope :D
Sonia'shope

Postby Sharley » 16. October 2011 22:52

This version of the control panel is included in version 1.7.7 - look in the xampp folder for xampp-control-3-beta.exe and double click this file to use it.

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Sharley » 17. October 2011 01:06

Downloading and testing now - will post back when complete.

Thanks for your improved contribution, much appreciated by all, I am sure. 8)

Best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby Sharley » 17. October 2011 02:25

First looks, here you go for now. :)

1. Help button still has Stephen, perhaps you may wish to include modified by or similar. ;)

2. Apache Logs has an inherited bug - access.log for both selections - fixed in 302 by Steffen in a previous post.

3. TomCat running disappears and the Start button returns when selecting Admin and reappears intermittently - this was evident in 302
Also when closing the browser Admin tab the behaviour reverts to running with the stop button stable.

4. When selecting the Service module for FileZilla (Tick) it won't go passed the Run As prompt when the security item is un-ticked, just cycles this run As window.
Code: Select all
11:15:39 AM  [filezilla]    There may be an error, return code: 1223 - The operation was canceled by the user.
11:15:39 AM  [filezilla]    Service was NOT (un)installed!
'cancelled by the user' spelling error.

I will post more if I find any, time limiting testing at the moment but overall looks good. 8)

Best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby hackattack142 » 17. October 2011 03:25

Thanks for testing it out. This is the first time I have even seen Delphi/Pascal code before let alone try to add new stuff/debug stuff so it is a learning process for me too.

1. Help button still has Stephen, perhaps you may wish to include modified by or similar. ;)

Yep, I realize that. I do not really need global recognition :)

2. Apache Logs has an inherited bug - access.log for both selections - fixed in 302 by Steffen in a previous post.

Fixed in my codebase, looks like it was a copy/paste error but he must not have included his latest source code.

3. TomCat running disappears and the Start button returns when selecting Admin and reappears intermittently - this was evident in 302
Also when closing the browser Admin tab the behaviour reverts to running with the stop button stable.

I am not sure about this. I do not see any instability with the start/stop button when playing with the Admin button and closing the Admin webpage. I will look into it more.
Followup: I have confirmed this behavior on Windows XP and will do some digging into the code. Improving the Tomcat status tracking code is already on my todo list.

4. When selecting the Service module for FileZilla (Tick) it won't go passed the Run As prompt when the security item is un-ticked, just cycles this run As window.
Code: Select all
11:15:39 AM [filezilla] There may be an error, return code: 1223 - The operation was canceled by the user.
11:15:39 AM [filezilla] Service was NOT (un)installed!
'cancelled by the user' spelling error.

I do not get Run prompts on Windows 7 when installing services. I will try to get something setup on Windows XP to try to debug this further.
Followup: When installing this service, you will probably get the Run As prompt 3 times. This is because the way FileZilla command line parsing is setup and it requires me to do the operations separately. I set the Service Name, the Service Display Name, and the Service Installation. This requires 3 operations hence the 3 Run As dialogs.

Also, do not be fooled by the Admin check in Windows XP. The IsAdmin function in the code that is being used is set to automatically return true for any OS before Vista.

I will post back again when I figure more out or have some fixes.

*Edit: Added followups
hackattack142

Postby Sharley » 17. October 2011 06:33

Will you keep us posted if you update the archive file with a newly dated compile, much like Stephen did so that follow-ups can be tests?

Just tested the 3 strikes FileZilla service issue and that is confirmed.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby hackattack142 » 17. October 2011 12:50

Yep, so far the only code change I have made is the Apache log fix so I want to try to get the tomcat stuff figured out before posting 3.0.4.
hackattack142

Postby Sharley » 18. October 2011 01:45

Suggestions:
I believe that you should make it very clear in this forum topic that your hacks are in no way officially recognised by the XAMPP development team, yet.

To have your modifications officially accepted with a view to having your versions included in any XAMPP releases then you would need to contact the developers to make them aware of your intentions, that is if you have not done so already.

I did notice that Steffen used Delphi and when he first approached the developers they seemed to question this method and sort of raised their collective eyebrows so to speak but the developers may well have now accepted this method.

Steffen (dmsclz) also has a topic in the German forum here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46647
that you may also need to inform of your modifications for those German members who don't speak English - or a post a link to your first post about 3.0.3 above.

Thanks again for your most welcome efforts and any improvements and contributions in open source projects must surely be acceptable.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby hackattack142 » 20. October 2011 02:41

I updated my post with a new version (3.0.4) with changes and updated link.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932

I think I have fixed all outstanding issues with the CP (including the Tomcat status flickering and the multiple FileZilla Admin popups). If there are any more issues or suggestions, let me know.

The only "funny" behavior I have noticed is Tomcat will sometimes show duplicate ports on Windows XP when the service is used in some way (which was causing the weird flickering). My only guess is that Tomcat is using a thread pool or create worker threads to deal with connections and this makes it look like the same port is being used multiple times. This appears to be just a cosmetic thing and does not affect the operation of Tomcat.

I also included new versions of the "catalina_start.bat" and "catalina_stop.bat" files. I wanted to integrate some sense of a failed run into the control panel so I had to modify them a bit. Since I was modifying them anyway, I decided to pretty much rewrite them. They now have full detection for 32-bit JDK/JRE on 32-bit systems, 64-bit JDK/JRE on 64-bit systems, and 32-bit JDK/JRE on 64-bit systems, better Return Codes, and self PID detection. Tomcat only requires the JDK if the "debug" run option is used. The XAMPP Start/Stop batch files do not use this option so the JRE is sufficient to run Tomcat as well. These new batch files should help others who were having problems with JDK/JRE detection. These are again my own changes and, if they work without problems, I will also submit them to the developers for consideration. These new batch files are required (in the "xampp" directory) for the new 3.0.4 revision to fully work correctly.

I believe that you should make it very clear in this forum topic that your hacks are in no way officially recognized by the XAMPP development team, yet.

I did add a little disclaimer/notice at the top of my post stating as much. I do hope to eventually see this get added into an official build but I would like to get the bugs worked about before submitting it directly to the developers.

To have your modifications officially accepted with a view to having your versions included in any XAMPP releases then you would need to contact the developers to make them aware of your intentions, that is if you have not done so already.

I am aware of this. Like I said, I would like to get any bugs worked about before submitting it to them.

I did notice that Steffen used Delphi and when he first approached the developers they seemed to question this method and sort of raised their collective eyebrows so to speak but the developers may well have now accepted this method.

Based on conversations I had with them during the beta testing process and their official 2012 planning post, they intend to make the CPv3 the official default control panel.

Steffen (dmsclz) also has a topic in the German forum here:

I don't speak and/or read German

Enjoy :)
hackattack142

Postby hackattack142 » 22. October 2011 02:39

Uploaded 3.0.5 and updated post.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932

Feedback in here welcome.

Enjoy :)
hackattack142

Postby Sharley » 22. October 2011 04:33

FileZilla is the only Logs button without a <browse> link or a link to the Logs folder in the FileZillaFTP folder when enabled and created.

If logging is enabled then there will be a log file(s) to peruse.

In the FileZilla Admin window click path Edit>Settings>logging is where to set log file settings and read the link below to prevent a log file confusion issue with log file sizes and a new log file everyday settings.

See this for a possible log setting confusion issue:
http://forum.filezilla-project.org/view ... =6&t=19377

If eventually logging is disabled then the Logs folder and log files remain.

Rest of beta4 looks OK, given my limited time for testing - am I the only one testing these betas? :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby dmsclz » 22. October 2011 08:00

Hi hackattack,

thanks for improving the CP! :-)
If you need my help in any way, just message me!

You should add your name somewhere too, you put lots of work in the CP it seems! :)

About than "run as admin"-issue:
If there are many internal actions for one click and each action requires admin privileges, maybe you
can execute many commands at once in "admin mode". Perhaps by using a temporary batch file or similar?

Kind regards,
Steffen
dmsclz

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for Windows