Problem with friendly urls (I think)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Problem with friendly urls (I think)

Postby DHL » 07. May 2011 16:29

Hi

I had a web server on my pc "osc localhost" and I was testing my website without any server issues. I then discovered that I needed curl which isn't supported on "osc localhost" so I looked around and decided to install xampp 1.7.1 on widows xp

Installation of xampp went ok and I can now access the homepage without any problems.

I can also access any link on the homepage that opens another .php file - eg aboutus.php

but if I try to open any catagory page, which I think uses friendly urls, then I get the following error :

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404

I have spent 2 days googling trying to fix the problem but it still persists

Most obvious things I have done is
1. Checked mod_rewrite is anabled
2. Checked Allowoverride All is set
3. renamed .htaccess on website to illiminate that

I am assuming that this is a server side config issue as this worked ok on my previous localhost.

I would appreciate any tips or help that any one can give

Thanks ... Dennis
DHL

Re: Problem with friendly urls (I think)

Postby Sharley » 09. May 2011 12:19

For server 404 file not found errors or any server errors for that matter, read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file just after you see the bowser's canned error message, which tells you nothing of any significance.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows