newcomer woes

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

newcomer woes

Postby horaciusl » 12. April 2011 02:46

Hello, I Installed xampp and everything was ok untill I changed the root passwords for localhost, and now phpmyadmind cant connect to mysql, I just get an error page which says :

Welcome to phpMyAdmin

Error

MySQL said: Documentation
Cannot connect: invalid settings.
phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.
Open new phpMyAdmin window

What should I do? I never touched the pma account, should I assign it a password from mysql console?

Thanks in advance.
horaciusl

Re: newcomer woes

Postby Sharley » 12. April 2011 07:52

horaciusl wrote:Hello, I Installed xampp and everything was ok untill I changed the root passwords for localhost,
.Setting the localhost password does not apply to MySQL and phpMyAdmin, they are set in the Security page of the orange colored XAMPP Welcome Demo page.

Go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin
then when asked for a user/password simply enter root as the user and leave the password blank, until, that is, you set one for the MySQL root user in the security page, then click on Go or click on Enter on your keyboard,

Once you have created a MySQL root user password, as described above, then you simply add the password instead of leaving it blank in the above instructions.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby horaciusl » 12. April 2011 08:36

thats the problem, I cant access the phpmyadmin
horaciusl

Postby Sharley » 12. April 2011 08:47

horaciusl wrote:thats the problem, I cant access the phpmyadmin
Post here the details of how you are trying to access phpMyAdmin and I need all the details as I can't see your screen from here.

Give in great detail how and where you changed the password and what password exactly did you change, don't forget I can't see what you do or your PC screen so you have to tell me every detail.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby horaciusl » 12. April 2011 08:56

SOLVED.

I edited the file c:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini and edited the password entry; it was "# password = yourpassword (or something like that)" I removed the # and replaced "yourpassword" with the password I set earlier. I launched phpmyadmind and logged as root.
horaciusl

Return to XAMPP for Windows