Launching XAMPP from MYDropBox

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Launching XAMPP from MYDropBox

Postby dbirdil » 11. March 2011 17:46

I am constantly switching PC's so I use MyDropBox for replicating portable tools between PC's. I would like to do this with XAMPP. I notice the readme files say to put the installation on the base drive which I can't really do with MyDropbox. I am starting with XAMPPLITE 1.7.3.

Has anyone done this before? Is there any known issues?

Thank you
dbirdil

Re: Launching XAMPP from MYDropBox

Postby DC80 » 12. March 2011 12:48

I'm testing it now, i will let you know later on this afternoon.

Kind Regards,

DC80
DC80

Operating System: Linux Mint 12 (lisa)

Re: Launching XAMPP from MYDropBox

Postby DC80 » 12. March 2011 12:59

dbirdil wrote:I am constantly switching PC's so I use MyDropBox for replicating portable tools between PC's. I would like to do this with XAMPP. I notice the readme files say to put the installation on the base drive which I can't really do with MyDropbox. I am starting with XAMPPLITE 1.7.3.

Has anyone done this before? Is there any known issues?

Thank you

It does work. However there are some things you need to get your attention to.

- It only runs on windows (if you encounter a linux pc, maybe it is possible to use the .zip file instead.)
- Everyone has access to it because dropbox is a sync service, so every file is executed on the client computer instead of the host (dropbox) computer.
- You need to set the firewall on every computer (lots of work i guess!) and sometimes a virus scanner.

My advice would be (if you want to keep your privacy) to buy a USB device (I use an WD Passport Essentials SE, however any USB stick would do) and install XAMPP on there.

EDIT: I did use the normal XAMPP installation not the XAMPPLITE edition!
DC80

Operating System: Linux Mint 12 (lisa)

Return to XAMPP for Windows