XAMPP 1.7.2 Not Starting on Windows 7

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP 1.7.2 Not Starting on Windows 7

Postby WestCoast101 » 06. March 2011 03:06

I had a functioning XAMPP server on VISTA, but with Windows 7, after clicking on the Control Panel Start button, I get a message that Apache Service has started but no RUNNING message. LocalHost does not connect either. I have a separate XAMPPlite installed on a FLASH drive, but I get the same result. I have checked the APACHE FAQs and Posts in this Forum, even some in German [although it has been a while]. I opened up the Firewall and specifically allowed Apache Service and also looked at the Ports to verify that they are open. One curiosity is that there are are 4 listings for Apache? Please help :) :)
WestCoast101

Re: XAMPP 1.7.2 Not Starting on Windows 7

Postby Sharley » 06. March 2011 04:26

WestCoast101 wrote:I have a separate XAMPPlite installed on a FLASH drive, but I get the same result...
...One curiosity is that there are are 4 listings for Apache
You can't run both at the same time - one or the other - there should only be 2 instances of apache or httpd.exe in the Task Manager.

Run \xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe

Check your \xampp\apache\logs\error.log files for clues.

Don't run your portable XAMPP with any of the Svc boxes checked in it's Control Panel, ever, as that defeats your portability by creating a registry entry and allotting a drive letter to start the Windows services of XAMPP.

In the Control Panel stop and remove any ticks in the Svc boxes of your fixed XAMPP installation before trying to start your portable XAMPP and visa versa.

Make sure you have full Admin privileges in Win7.

Good luck.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows