Possible bug in csv import functionality of phpmyadmin

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Possible bug in csv import functionality of phpmyadmin

Postby jiraiya » 01. March 2011 11:52

Hi All,
I have come across what may potentially be a bug in the csv import functionality of the phpmyadmin version 3.3.9 included with xampp. I have a tab delimited file. No major problems there, I just fill in the proper values in the import section and all should be well. The problem is that even with the proper field termination values input, the import script is failing due to the fact that it is not picking up any of the field names even though they do indeed exist. I have tested the file with another import tool and it imports fine so I am certain that this error is specific to the phpmyadmin installation. Any thoughts on this or has anyone else encountered it.

Here is the error message.
Code: Select all
SQL query:

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `boneill_data`.`TABLE 1` (
) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ') ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci' at line 1

You can see the problem, there are no field names between the brackets as phpmyadmin is not detecting them.

Any thoughts are appreciated,
Regards,
Barry.
jiraiya

Re: Possible bug in csv import functionality of phpmyadmin

Postby glitzi85 » 04. March 2011 20:59

What encoding do you specify on the import page? Does the file have the same encoding?

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby jiraiya » 04. March 2011 22:26

Yeah, same encoding utf8. I got onto the guys over at the phpmyadmin site and I have reported the bug and sent them the file. They are looking into it at the minute. I spotted a few more possible bugs in the csv functionality too that I sent to them so hopefully they will find the problem. Interestingly if you save the file as an open document spreadsheet then it imports fine. This would certainly point to a problem in phpmyadmins handling of csv files.
Thanks,
Barry.
jiraiya

Postby jiraiya » 07. March 2011 11:16

Hi Guys,
I have this one resolved. It was indeed a bug. For a full explanation you can have a look at the comments on the bug over at phpmyadmins sourceforge.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3196093&group_id=23067&atid=377408
Thanks,
Barry.
jiraiya

Return to XAMPP for Windows