Reinstall/Update - now mysql not working right

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Reinstall/Update - now mysql not working right

Postby markg » 22. February 2011 19:53

im running a gaming server on winxp (32bit), and on it we have a stats program that uses perl, php and mysql so i have been using xampp because it was easy to install and had everything i needed to get it running.

everything has been working for months, but i saw there was a newer version of xampp, and thats where i got into trouble.

i uninstalled the old version (leaving only the sql data per the deinstall option), then installed the new version into the same directory. note i checked and the directory was empty except for the mysql data

the xampp status page show all is working well.
but the xampp security page shows the mysql server is not running or blocked by a firewall, but it is on the same machine (but i turned off the firewall just as a last resort, with no change).

mysql does work ok with the demo cd program, so it must be running...even thought it says not.

and when i now try to read/write any data to the sql database, i get an error.
"Could not connect to database server. Check that the values of DB_ADDR, DB_USER and DB_PASS in config.php are set correctly.
Server Error: (2013) Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 110"

ok, so since i didnt change the password/db addr or db user on any of the dozen or so instances that talk to the single sql database, it must be the sql database user name/password or something related. but i created it, and it seems correct, and matches up. i even removed the password from the sql database userid, just to try that, but the same error.

i know im likely doing something very basic wrong, but i cant figure out what it is.

any suggestions on what to do/how to troubleshoot this?

mark
markg

Re: Reinstall/Update - now mysql not working right

Postby smithpa3 » 22. February 2011 20:22

I am having the same problem. Wish I could go back and reinstall the older version -- it worked without any problems.
smithpa3

Postby markg » 22. February 2011 23:18

well, i just did reinstall the old version; not from the windows install file, but from the zip file.

it wont launch apache though.....so i have no clue what to do next.
markg

Postby markg » 25. February 2011 22:55

i deinstalled/wiped everything, started over with the prior version.
it works fine. not sure what was going on
markg

Postby Sharley » 25. February 2011 23:02

Uninstalling the Windows services by removing the tick in the Svc check boxes in the XAMPP Control Panel and then making sure the XCP is closed and/or using the uninstall services bat files usually helps to remove the residue that often prevents a reinstall from working.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Sharley » 25. February 2011 23:07

smithpa3 wrote:I am having the same problem. Wish I could go back and reinstall the older version -- it worked without any problems.
Why can't you cleanly uninstall your problem version and then install the previous known working version?

Previous versions can be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP Windows
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby markg » 26. February 2011 05:18

Sharley wrote:Uninstalling the Windows services by removing the tick in the Svc check boxes in the XAMPP Control Panel and then making sure the XCP is closed and/or using the uninstall services bat files usually helps to remove the residue that often prevents a reinstall from working.

i had done that; then reinstalled and did it again, with no luck.
not sure why; this computer was hacked a few months ago, so that may have been it, but it now works so im leaving it alone!
markg

Return to XAMPP for Windows