web development

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

web development

Postby FireLadie » 19. February 2004 03:10

I'm confused by some of the inital comments about this software. It says it's not good for production purposes.

I'm trying to get started with developing php websites... will probably have a 'real' site to develop soon as they tell me to start.

Is installing this package not the best bet, should I go through and do it all manually?

Need help!
FireLadie

Postby Oswald » 19. February 2004 10:01

Hello FireLady!

You will run a production server on your home computer? The normal way is to develop software (website) on a develop machine and after that putting the websites on a production server hosted by an ISP.

To your question:
There will be no difference between your manual installation and a XAMPP installation. Both installations will not be good production installations. A production server will always need some changes to the default configuration.

Greetings
Oswald
Oswald
Apache Friends

Operating System: Linux

Postby FireLadie » 19. February 2004 13:53

Ok.. that makes sense. So basically I just have to make sure that the web server (ISP) supports php?

Thanks so much for bearing with me asking stupid questions.
FireLadie

Postby Oswald » 19. February 2004 14:39

FireLadie wrote:Ok.. that makes sense. So basically I just have to make sure that the web server (ISP) supports php?

Absolutely correct!

Many greetings
Oswald
Oswald
Apache Friends

Operating System: Linux

production server at home

Postby nigelw » 02. March 2004 01:52

What kind of stuff are you using your production server for? It is definitely possible to have a production server at home with the right connection and the right hardware. How much traffic do you think you might have in a day?

--
Nigel
nigelw

Return to XAMPP for Windows