Well, it failed after that and I spent forever trying to do variations on that idea without success. I'm on windows server 2008 apache with a moodle cms installation. I read for apache only to use VC6 but I tried them all. For each I copied all icu files into apache/bin and the single php_intl.dll copied into php/ext folder. I tried downloading all 32 bit versions 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, & 5.5 of php vc6, vc9, vc11 and 64 bit vc11 all threadsafe all failed despite having worked for 5.3, 5.4,& 5.5 just yesterday! Yes each time I restarted my server and apache AND don't forget in apache/logs to delete httpd.pid which get overwritten again anyway but sometimes can throw it all off.
Today, I found my original 5.3.5 V6 x86 but unfortunately it was in exe form. Last year I remembered getting the binaries from an exe so I found this program again called universal extractor from here http://legroom.net/software/uniextract
Run the program then Open the folder and file 5.3.5 win32vc6x86.EXE and choose first option msi administrative installer and it makes a folder for you. Deep within that folder (just search) you find again all icu files paste into apach/bin and one php_intl.dll file paste into php/ext. Delete your httpd.pid file in apache logs just in case . .. and start apache service without even restarting my machine it WORKS! Moodle 2.5 environment finally is ALL green baby - perfectly running (well close enough for me). I sure hope this helps someone too!