xampp 1.7.4 upgrade tips

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp 1.7.4 upgrade tips

Postby bingalls » 30. January 2011 00:24

When upgrading from xampp 1.7.3 to 1.7.4, it is necessary to backup and restore mysql data using mysqldump, then delete your data directory.
I recommend uninstalling, before upgrading. I'd move out your htdocs, so that you can remove and replace it with Xampp's new features, as well.

Note that Xampp does not prompt you, before deleting the conf folders. If you have virtual hosts, for example, be sure to back these up.
I recommend installing Xampp as an UNprivileged user, to make it easy to start & stop services. Ensure that c:\xampp\ has write privileges.

I sometimes use Revo Uninstaller, which likes to remove lang.tmp with its cleanup tool. Be sure to configure Revo to stop this.

While mysql+php work for me, phpmyadmin initially failed for v1.7.4. I think this has something to do with NTFS being case aware, but not case sensitive.
I renamed the phpMyAdmin folder in cygwin, then moved it back, and now it works. See phpmyadmin alias in httpd-xampp.conf for details.

Finally, Avira antivirus throws warnings about Xampp 1.7.4 (at bottom). I expect that these are spurious. I have not had a problem quarantining the affected file.

Beginning disinfection:
C:\xampp\mysql\mysql-test\t\ctype_utf32.test
[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Rce.Gen HTML script virus
[NOTE] The file was moved to the quarantine directory under the name '4b3b2ca0.qua'.
C:\download\xampp-win32-1.7.4-VC6-installer.exe
[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Rce.Gen HTML script virus
[NOTE] The file could not be copied to quarantine!
[NOTE] The file does not exist!
Last edited by bingalls on 30. January 2011 01:58, edited 2 times in total.
bingalls

Re: xampp 1.7.4 upgrade tips

Postby Sharley » 30. January 2011 00:36

While mysql+php work for me, phpmyadmin fails for v1.7.4. Still looking at this.
To help you with this read this topic post at item 4:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44327

Rather than uninstall 1.7.3 my advise is to rename your 1.7.3 version to xampp173 for example and then run the setup_xampp.bat file to relocate it to xampp173 - first uninstall any Windows service and stop any components running and don't forget to close the XAMPP Control Panel and also don't forget to change the paths in your own scripts as the setup bat file only looks after those XAMPP component paths.

This way you will have 1.7.3 to fall back on and still use if you wish and also be able to try and use existing 1.7.3 files in the 1.7.4 installation - see the above topic for details.

Good luck and best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby bingalls » 30. January 2011 02:24

While mysql+php work for me, phpmyadmin fails for v1.7.4. Still looking at this.

To help you with this read this topic post at item 4: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44327

Thanks. I updated my post, with what worked for me. That post did not quite apply for me.

Rather than uninstall 1.7.3 my advise [sic] is to rename your 1.7.3 version to xampp173...

Good idea. I understand that Windows 7 file system links work as good as Linux/Mac (symbolic) links. If you are stuck with Vista or older, file shortcuts can't help you, afaik.
bingalls

Postby Sharley » 30. January 2011 02:42

Yes, your folder case issue is not the issue with the Admin button in the XAMPP Control Panel my link refers to.

Never know a case issue in Windows OS (Linux flavours, Yes) as the Alias entry for phpmyadmin goes back years and many XAMPP versions (it was introduced as a security measure to only allow access from local loop back/localhost) and always worked in Windows with the folder named phpMyAdmin - in your first post you failed to mention your OS but looks like Win7 after reading your second post and I have no experience yet with the latest Windows offering.

Is Windows 7 now file/folder case sensitive as in *nix flavours?

Also worth a mention here is that Windows 7 is now off the recommended list of supported Operating Systems as is 64 bit Operating System versions in the 1.7.4 release - \xampp\readme_en.txt file - so I am not surprised that OS related issues are surfacing.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby bingalls » 30. January 2011 13:52

I am running XP pro SP3. I don't think that Windows 7 filesystem handles case sensitivity any better, only links.
I used cygwin to change the case of phpMyAdmin, then change it back to its original name. Strange, but worked.
bingalls

Return to XAMPP for Windows