Xampp and MySQL service

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp and MySQL service

Postby sebastienM » 25. January 2011 09:24

Hi,

I am using windows server 2008 r2 in 64 bits. I installed the xampp package but I can not start MySQL service . (MySQL starts and runs without using the service).
If I run the service, then start MySQL, I get the following error message:
"Windows could not start the MySQL service. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly"

Thx
sebastienM

Re: Xampp and MySQL service

Postby Sharley » 25. January 2011 10:11

Edited Response After Testing This Issue.

If you installed XAMPP using the portable USB feature in the setup_xampp.bat file then it is not possible to use MySQL as a service as the referenced php.ini file would require a drive letter to be assigned to the paths.

Try running the setup_xampp.bat file again and make sure you have a non portable installation of XAMPP configured.

When you tick the Svc box to install MySQL as a service then it may not be possible to start it manually see above, just tested it and I get the same result as you on a portable USB installation.

To test if MySQL is indeed running go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin.
If it has started you will get the phpMyAdmin GUI.
If it can't start then you will get an error message trying to start phpMyAdmin.

My question is do you really want MySQL to start up automatically when Windows starts on a portable installation as it defeats the purpose with a drive letter having to be assigned for a Windows service?
I find starting Apache and MySQL manually when I need them running is safer for my development needs and works every time.

Good luck and best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby sebastienM » 26. January 2011 15:35

Ok, thanks.

It's ok to run MySQL with a session. But i want to stat MySQL as a service.
This server is a Hyper-V SRV and no session must be open on it.
When we start the server, we want that MySQL start automatic; like a service.

Thks a lot
sebastienM

Postby sebastienM » 28. January 2011 10:10

Hi,

To start Mysql service, follow this post : http://serverfault.com/questions/218851 ... 008-r2-x64

Thx.
sebastienM

Postby Sharley » 28. January 2011 10:28

Did you mean the solution was by adding the drive letter in the my.ini file?

If so and you had installed XAMPP correctly and ran the setup-xampp.bat file as I pointed out in my reply then it would have saved you much frustration by adding the drive letters to all XAMPP ini and conf files.
Sharley wrote:If you installed XAMPP using the portable USB feature in the setup_xampp.bat file then it is not possible to use MySQL as a service as the referenced php.ini file would require a drive letter to be assigned to the paths.

Try running the setup_xampp.bat file again and make sure you have a non portable installation of XAMPP configured.
But you did not either read it or you ignored it as your reply to was vague indeed.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby sebastienM » 28. January 2011 10:46

Yes, the solution was by adding the drive letter in the my.ini file.

I didn't install xampp in portable version.
In windows server 2008 32 bits, xampp (and mysql service) 1.7.3 and 1.7.4 run correctly.
But in windows server 2008 r2 64 bits, i have to add the drive letter.

Thx
sebastienM

Return to XAMPP for Windows