Vista + Port 8080 hack working, now virtual host please?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Vista + Port 8080 hack working, now virtual host please?

Postby Drago » 19. January 2011 07:45

I've been working with a buddy of mine who has the misfortune of currently running Vista. I was looking around the internet to figure out how to make Apache work. The skype trick didn't do anything, so I kept looking and came across the port 8080 trick, and Xampp worked.

Now I need to get multiple virtual hosts working.

Here's the tutorial that I (using windows 7 on MY machine) used with no problem, but it doesn't work for him.
http://ailoo.net/2008/07/set-up-multipl ... r-windows/

I tried both

Code: Select all
NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>

and

Code: Select all
NameVirtualHost *:8080
<VirtualHost *:8080>

and it hasn't worked so far. Any ideas?
Drago

Re: Vista + Port 8080 hack working, now virtual host please?

Postby Sharley » 19. January 2011 08:02

Drago wrote:I was looking around the internet to figure out how to make Apache work. The skype trick didn't do anything, so I kept looking and came across the port 8080 trick, and Xampp worked.
What Skype trick is that?
Why can't you configure Skype to use ports other than 80 and 443 ?

Why is Apache not working and how do you know?

Try and revert your configuration file httpd.conf back to the install defaults so we have a clean start to work from and easier to see what may be giving problems..

Stop Apache and MySQL in the XAMPP Control Panel and remove any ticks you see in the Svc check boxes.

Next run the \xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe and you should see all ports are free.

If not post back with what you see is using port 80 and port 443.

Apache works best and is less hassle if it uses the ports 80 and 443 by default - too many errors can be induced by using port 8080 as you are finding out.

Check out the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues when Apache can't start.

If Apache and MySQL start and show a green running indication when you click on the Start buttons in the XCP then go to http://localhost and tell me what you see in the browser.

The best place to find out about VirtualHosts is here on these forums as I spot errors in that tutorial link you posted and is using an old version 1.6.7 of XAMPP with many major changes since then that may impact on the end result if using the current 1.7.3 version.

This recent topic has many good examples of vhosts to work from.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43109

BTW you need to be logged in as an administrator and disable UAC in Vista, if you haven't already done it, to have any chance of running a web server suite of apps. like those found in XAMPP.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows