FileZilla Server - No directory listing as a service

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

FileZilla Server - No directory listing as a service

Postby no_listing » 16. January 2011 01:56

Hi

I've been trying to get FileZilla running today as a service. It will run but will not give me a directory listing.

If I run it as a standalone program it works with no problems.

Whats wrong?

My details:
Win XP Pro SP2
Running from Usb Key (relative file paths)
Apache works, MySQL works
File permissions are ok and I have also tried changing the service account.
no_listing

Re: FileZilla Server - No directory listing as a service

Postby Sharley » 16. January 2011 02:11

I did not change any settings in the FileZilla configurations just pure default out of the box settings.

On a default USB type installation (relative paths but on a fixed drive) of XAMPP 1.7.3 I ticked the Svc box (to run FileZilla as a Windows Service) next to FileZilla in the XAMPP Control Panel and answered the question affirmatively.

I then click on the start button and got the green running indication.

Next I entered in my browser ftp://localhost and got the directory listing of the default ftp folder.

Next I opened FileZilla ftp client and typed in the Quick Connect bar 127.0.0.1 and added port 21 and clicked on Quickconnect button and got the default ftp directory listing which has 1 file and 1 folder - incoming folder and onefile.html file.

BTW running FileZilla as a Windows service means it requires a drive letter for entry in the registry as pointed out when you ran setup_xampp.bat file when first installing to a USB portable drive...
...or don't run it as a service on a portable USB stick but simply just Start Filezilla manually each time you need it in the XAMPP Control Panel - no tick in the Svc check box.

So if running XAMPP on a portable device (without a drive letter) then no Windows service is possible but if you assign a drive letter then the device is no longer portable and you can start components as a Windows service as and when required.

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: FileZilla Server - No directory listing as a service

Postby no_listing » 17. January 2011 00:20

Sharley wrote:I did not change any settings in the FileZilla configurations just pure default out of the box settings.
BTW running FileZilla as a Windows service means it requires a drive letter for entry in the registry as pointed out when you ran setup_xampp.bat file when first installing to a USB portable drive...
...or don't run it as a service on a portable USB stick but simply just Start Filezilla manually each time you need it in the XAMPP Control Panel - no tick in the Svc check box.

So if running XAMPP on a portable device (without a drive letter) then no Windows service is possible but if you assign a drive letter then the device is no longer portable and you can start components as a Windows service as and when required.

Sharley,

You're a genius 8)

I've edited the shared folders and they now include the drive letter and it works. Unfortunately that now means I can't really run FZS as a service. I suppose I could write an XML parser program which edits the file share paths before executing FZS..

Thanks ;)
no_listing

Return to XAMPP for Windows