Strawberry Perl for XAMPP?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Strawberry Perl for XAMPP?

Postby tokpela » 20. November 2010 01:09

Hello,

I read in the documentation that Perl 5.10.1 is bundled with XAMPP for Windows.

Does any one know which distribution this is?

If it is not Strawberry Perl (http://strawberryperl.com), are there any instructions on how to add more CPAN modules to the XAMPP Perl distribution?

Thank you!
tokpela

Re: Strawberry Perl for XAMPP?

Postby JonB » 20. November 2010 16:54

Answer - A - I don't think its Strawberry Perl, check the exe files, they have the perl.org Camel and are signed by Carsten Weidmann - so I suspect it was compiled from perl.org source. Bad news - he is no longer with the XAMMP project.

Answer - B - there's a set of batch files for CPAN in the xampp\perl\bin folder. I suggest you read through cpan.bat for starters - its pretty well documented.

It looks like you just 'say' c:\xampp\perl\bin\>cpan Module::name

LOL - I'm giving it a go and hoping not to trash one of my forums (well that is what backups are for, right)

Well, for my eperiment, I got mixed results - it works as advertised - fetches code, unzips, tries to build, make, install and test - had test errors and suggestions on how to fix. (it looks like I may have had dependency issues) - but it notes all of them.

JonB gives cpan.bat a Thumbs Up! :D

Good Luck
:mrgreen:

lz
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Re: Strawberry Perl for XAMPP?

Postby JonB » 20. November 2010 23:31

With regard to the Win32 Perl that is currently distributed with the XAMPP project 1.7.3:

After receiving two questions recently about the source of this distribution, I checked with the project leader Oswald Seidler. He has confirmed my basic understanding, which is that Carsten Weidmann compiled the perl.org source files himself to be included with XAMPP. He is also the person who modified batch/script files for Perl that are included. My understanding is that this is a Win32 only thread safe compilation.

For those who you wish to work with Perl on XAMPP, I recommend you opening the batch files and reading through them as they are fairly well documented. I have tested both ppm.bat, and cpan.bat; as far as I can tell, they both work correctly.
I'm going to do a few more experiments with cpan.bat, as the test I chose had dependency errors that would be time-consuming and pointless to resolve for my server. Cpan.bat did fetch the code, build, make, install and test - and reported errors, so I expect it is working correctly.

I can confirm that I was able to install directly Class-Accessor with ppm.bat

C:\xampp\perl\bin>ppm install Class-Accessor
Installing package 'Class-Accessor'...
Bytes transferred: 22554
Installing C:\xampp\perl\html\site\lib\Class\Accessor.html
Installing C:\xampp\perl\html\site\lib\Class\Accessor\Fast.html
Installing C:\xampp\perl\html\site\lib\Class\Accessor\Faster.html
Installing C:\xampp\perl\site\lib\Class\Accessor.pm
Installing C:\xampp\perl\site\lib\Class\Accessor\Fast.pm
Installing C:\xampp\perl\site\lib\Class\Accessor\Faster.pm
C:\xampp\perl\bin>

and ~tada~ it appears on my Perlinfo page: