multiple domains

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

multiple domains

Postby silver163 » 03. November 2010 17:38

hello,

i got multiple domains that i need apache to handle but how do i set this up with xampp? they are all different and i also need to be able to create subdomains for each domain, how can i do all that with apache?
silver163

Re: multiple domains

Postby JonB » 03. November 2010 19:55

XAMPP is really not diiferent than other Apache distributions

Google Apache Vhosts

There is also a vhost setup example in \xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

I guess I should ask, if you have or need or think you have or need all these things, what have you been doing in the past ???

and say -

XAMPP is not designed for production environments NOR is it a provisioning system.

Good Luck

8)

yslcfa
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby silver163 » 03. November 2010 21:50

i have 1and1 as my host and wanted to switch to my own. if xampp is not good to run the website then what is? :/
silver163

Postby JonB » 03. November 2010 22:17

XAMPP is really appropriate for maybe hosting a few sites, or doing testing and development (what it is really designed for).

If you have a lot of sites and need to do a lot of things AND need real security, you have a big learning curve. XAMPP is designed to be OPEN so devlopers don't have to fight the system. Doing all the configuration work and securing your installation will be a good-sized task. I'm real unsure what 'you' mean by subdomains (thats kinda a webhosting term) I suspect you mean 'hostname' - its the 'www' or 'support' (whatever) separated by a . (dot) that comes before the domainname.

http://www.webreference.com/html/tutorial2/2.html

So - its like I said - welcome to learning about vhosts (virtual hosts).

If you have more than a few domains, ANY self hosting will be a big learning curve and a fair amount of work. If all your sites are for fun or personal interest, basically XAMPP could be made to work. So could any Apache/MySQL/PHP stack for Windows (some are more or less work) IF you are doing e-commerce on them or you want to, or you are getting ad-revenues from traffic, you prolly are better sticking with a webhost. If you need real e-mail (your own mailservers) - there's another decent sized thing to learn. Those web hosts ahev done all the back-breaking woirk for you. Self hosting is MORE expensive for sure in terms of time than almost any hosting plan. its all D-I-Y. So if you have time and inclination AND patience, it can be a lot of fun. If its to make money or save money - its a poor use of time.

These are ONLY my own personal opinions, but I do self host (my own servers) many domains for business both on Windows/IIS and on Centos/Fedora/linux?Apache. I only use XAMPP for peronal interest stuff and my blogs.

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows