Can install xamp if I have installed apache

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can install xamp if I have installed apache

Postby texdiver » 24. October 2010 14:22

I have Apache install for over 3yrs. I have many setting include access to another hard drive for the data and htaccess. I would like to install xampp for the Mysql to run Word press. I am afraid that I would loose all my setting for Apache. By no way I am an expert at Apache or xampp. Any help would be wonderful.
texdiver

Re: Can install xamp if I have installed apache

Postby JonB » 25. October 2010 14:50

The answer is yes, you can install XAMPP without any chance of losing your old settings.

The thing you CAN'T do is run then BOTH simulataneously on the same port. The easiest thing to do is not make the XAMPP Apache (or MySQL if you have that previously installed as well) into a service. For the Apache you already have installed, if you are running Apache as a service, in Windows Service Manager, make its Start type - 'manual'. This way there won't be any start service contention.

Good L 8) uck
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Nobbie » 25. October 2010 16:45

texdiver wrote:I would like to install xampp for the Mysql to run Word press.

Why? Simply install MySQL as well as PHP and work with your already installed Apache.
Nobbie

Postby gillwill » 29. October 2010 05:54

JonB wrote:... The easiest thing to do is not make the XAMPP Apache (or MySQL if you have that previously installed as well) into a service...

Yes, I've found that even if you change to ports on the xampp instances, xampp will still load the pre-existing httpd if it's running as a service.

JonB wrote:..
For the Apache you already have installed, if you are running Apache as a service, in Windows Service Manager, make its Start type - 'manual'. This way there won't be any start service contention.

If for some reason you need to run both, you would need to change the names of the prior-installed services so they are different than the default names that xampp also uses.

Apparently when the xampp Apache and MySQL are started, the program looks to see if if there is a matching service name and then starts it.
gillwill

Return to XAMPP for Windows